Question washing

I always wash extra-wide backing including muslin, even if the quilt top fabric hasn't been washed. Wide-backing and muslin tends to shrink a little more than regular width quilters cotton used for piecing.

Leslie

When I bought my last wide backing fabric I was told to expect it to shrink UP TO 7%. That's quite a lot, so I pre-washed it. Glad I did--what started out as 108 inches wide ended up being only 104 inches. I usually pre-wash every fabric I use.

oh gosh!  When I pre-wash, I throw it in the washer and the dryer on my usual clothes cycle because I figure that it how it will be washed once it is made into  a utility quilt.  Lin  I don't make sure or art quilts very often  Lin

I prewash everything by running it through a regular cycle with a little Synthrapol.

In the case of your dress shirts, I would DEFINITELY pre-wash/shrink the backing because that shirt fabric has been washed a lot and is not likely to shrink when the quilt is washed. But the muslin will shrink, which could make some issues. my goal is always to have the batting, backing and quilt top shrink in unison.

Archived