Freedom VS Lucey

Hi all!!  I haven't been on here for quite a while!!  I am going to be getting a new head!  I have now a 2008 Millie.  I am looking at a Freedom and a Lucey.   Any input on the pros and cons of what these will and will not do?  Looks like the difference is the Lucey does not have Glide and no "low bobbin alert"... Both of those really peak my interest...but wondering if they are worth the extra $... I would love some opinions from my fellow quilting buddies!!  Thanks for your input!!

Linda

I have a Lucey and really love it. Now that I have some LA experience, quilt glide would be a nice option. At the time I purchased my Lucey, a Freedom wasn't in the budget. I have the M bobbin so the low bobbin sensor wouldn't be that important to me. Could you try quilt glide at a Road or quilt show? It might help make your decision a little easier.

Leslie

Hi Leslie!  Thanks for responding!  I DID go to a roadshow and tried the glide....I did really like it!    Just trying to decide if it's worth the $!!!  I LOVE doing custom work, so I think the glide would be a good thing to have.....but  $....    :wacko:

Linda:

I would suggest you compare the options of the New Lucey/Freedom against your 2008 Millie.  Then answer a few questions as a business owner.  I quilt for fun, but am in the process of paying off all my debt so I am looking at your questions from a different angle.  A business will always suck every penny it can from you.  You have to decide that "I will only allow it to take X percent of profit per month, and I keep to live off of the remaining Y percent."  That being said here are few questions to ask yourself.  They are not fun to answer, but I believe you have to look at them to run a profitable business.  

1.  While I love custom work, how long will the custom work going to pay for the upgraded machine $1,250 just for Glide?  

2.  How much improvement in my actual quilting will the new machine bring about, and will I be able to charge more for this improvement?

3.  What is my return on investment in my business by purchasing this new machine, and will it continue to allow me to withdraw Y percent in profits each month?

4.  Could I purchase a used machine with all the bells and whistles I want in a new model saving money, and still improve my quilting results.

I wish you the best of luck in your business decision.

Cagey

Hi Cagey!  I am looking at demos.  Been having issues with my machine and decided it's just time to get a different one...  yes, you are probably right about the glide... I don't have it now, and do just fine....  :)   thanks for your input!

How much do you use the channel locks on your present Millie?  Is there a difference between the two options for you then?  Good luck with your purchase.

I never use my channel locks...  :)  and I can learn to live without the thread cutter!!!

I went from a Millie to a Freedom, with Glide. I love it! I don't miss the channel locks and I never used the thread cutter. I honestly didn't think Glide was that big a deal until I REALLY used it. Now I use it on almost every quilt. It is fabulous for small fill work. Go for it, you won't be sorry!

• 2 months later...

Bliss is a different carriage that makes your machine even easier to move. If you are buying new you can upgrade your table later for the same price (about a thousand dollars). So if money is a concern try it without first. Even without Bliss the machines move easier than they did ten years ago.

Just my opinion

Nigel

If you can....I would add bliss...it really does move nicely....be great if you could try it.....I got the upgrade table with bliss when I got my Lucey and am glad I did...now...I really have not worked on an APQS without bliss....but I think they said something like 95% are requesting bliss when getting a new table...you could ask ask APQS if anyone ever wanted bliss removed...I wouldn't think so...Lin

• 2 years later...
On 9/10/2016 at 7:56 AM, Corey said:

Buy it with bliss, you won't be sorry because this table makes Longarming easier and better.

When I did upgrade my Millie regular table to bliss, it cost me $3,000.

Corey,

Do you know the year at which the old vs new Bliss upgrade cost started? What year is your Millie? I am looking at a 2009 Millie non-Bliss and in trying to figure my budget and wants, how much is a Bliss upgrade going to cost me? All I know is the table is black (not white like APQS website) and the gal says it is a “deluxe machine” and has power advance. I can’t see it in person for another 2 weeks...

172E098E-06C4-4484-9495-1B47A43C6D9E.png

Archived