Still having problems

Ok, there is no movement to the needle bar that I notice. When it fell it should have been tightened he man tight as Dave Jones had tightened it. I tightened it pretty good the next time around and no movement yet. In talking to Amy and Angie the thought was that there might be a problem with the shaft, that was why the thought came about that sending it in to them was my best choice. Then after Dave was here and nothing more was mentioned about the shaft I figured it was ok. Maybe not though. Is that something Dave Binquist could fix? I'm waiting on a call from him today.

Barb if I had any vacation time left I'd load my head into my car and bring it up, visiting family while I was there. I'm actually from Washington state.

I'm attaching photos like someone asked, not sure if we can see what we are looking at though.

post-62078-0-77857200-1470334864_thumb.jpeg

post-62078-0-05228900-1470334879_thumb.jpeg

post-62078-0-89982500-1470334891_thumb.jpeg

I say pack the head in a good shipping box, arrange a date and for Barb to fix the head, buy and airline ticket from CA to WA (off season sales starting soon), check box as luggage, fly up there and have Barb fix and teach you everything she knows about quilting.  Fly home, with a fully operational ULT II, refreshed from your mini-vacation, and ready to concur any and all quilts.

Cagey

That might be a good idea too, although still no vacation time from work. I have the shipping box but I think that might be too big for checked luggage. Plus I'm not sure if the box would fit in my car, I have a Mini Cooper.

I feel for you. I could replace your needle bar but if you send it in, Amy and Angie will check things we don't do in the field. They are very thorough.

Have you thought about making a trip to the APQS Showroom? It could be a fun trip! I want to go back when I have time to see more of the area. It's a bit hot right now.

BN:

I for one am disappointed Dave did not check the needle bar, knowing all the issues you had with your machine.  When I spoke with him about visiting my area, he said his "spa treatment" covered more than APQS's.  Now I am not so sure, hearing back from you.  

Just check the weight limit for the airline, and it can be checked.  Usually it is 40 to 50 pounds.  The head with backing should be just under that, and I am sure in will find in the baggage area.  Airlines ship caskets all the time.  Maybe you can arrange your shifts to allow you a four-day weekend on a Thursday/Friday that would let you get to Barb or Heidi.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Cagey

Cagey, Dave did raise the needle bar depth, said my needle bar was too low. Not sure if bushings were checked although I would have assumed so. Dave Binquist is supposed to call me this afternoon. I still want to know why I can't use magna glide bobbins as they are so much easier.

Barb's right. Your problem is not the MagnaGlide bobbins. If we took a poll, I bet over 75% of us use them often. My turbo winder works awesome and I use it for special colors, but a pre-wound is what I use most often. If the bobbin was the problem, everyone would be having problems and they are not.

I want to thank everyone so much for all your help and advice with my machine. My plan is to take the machine down to Dave Binquist next week on my day off. From there I'm not sure if I will go pick it up again or have him bring it back. He can't do a stitch out on it as he doesn't have a table that it will run on, he could if he brought it back for me. He can however replace the shaft if that is in fact the issue with it. The upside is that since I'm starting my last class for my bachelors degree in nursing in a couple of weeks and won't have much time for sewing until mid October I won't be in a rush to get it back. I figure if I do have time to sew I can work on another project and add to the quilt tops I can practice on when I get the machine back. I think right now I have 12 completed tops to quilt.

Batty,

Congrats on getting a bachelors in nursing, such a rewarding and unselfish career!    Hopefully Dave Binquist can fix the problem quickly, please share our thoughts or this forum with Dave.  It really sounds like a shaft slippage.  Keep in touch and remember we are here to help as much as possible.  Can't wait to see some pics of your quilts.

• 2 months later...

Been reading here and there on tension, loops and Glide thread.  Working on a modern design on lots of negative space.  So, thread performance really shows.  I have been getting little, irregular loops on the front and back at random unexplained spots.  After studying and sleeping on it, I put a small sausage roll of batting in the thread guide over the cone of Glide Thread.  I just sewed a full line across this 80+ inch top and NO LOOPS, above or below.  Does this "steady" the feed of the Glide thread into the machine.  It seemed to come off the cone rather erratically before the batting was in the guide.  Not complaining, just learning.  But, is this why it helped?

One thing that may seems silly, is have you checked IN your top tension spring or between the disks for a tad bit of lint.

Likewise, there could be a tad of lint under the flat finger on the bobbin case.  Raise it a wee bit with a pin, or very carefully lift it a wee bit with

a small seam ripper.  Remove any lint.

I also had bad stitches, and threads breaking the other day and I had it threaded the wrong way, thru too many holes in

the thread guides.  reducing it by just one hole made a world of difference.

Mona:  I've noticed when I get loops like you describe, that the take up spring isn't working properly.  I think you've put your finger on an issue that probably contributes to that problem, that is thread control.  I've added several thread guides to my machine to help control thread movement.  As you probably know, Glide is primarily an embroidery thread.  It's only two strand while most other sewing threads are three strand, and the cones may be wound the opposite direction.  At any rate, it handles differently than most of the more commonly used long arm threads.  If you encounter the problem again, you might try increasing the tension on your take up spring.  Jim

Archived