I am retiring too

Since Heidi has announced her retirement, I will announce mine too. 

In February, Garmin will be closing the call center I work in. We can keep our jobs and drive to the other call center, however, it is on the Kansas side of the state line, and it is about 35 miles one way. Now, 35 miles does not sound bad, but it is the opposite side of Kansas City from me, diagonally across the city, in rush hour traffic, both ways. I am too old for this!! If the drive isn't bad enough, taxes are different on that side of the line, and we have been directed to talk with our CPA to find out what we need to do about filing our taxes, Ick!!!

My dad passed away on July 7th of this year. I have been going to their home to help my mom with the sale of their home and personal belongings, so she can move to Independence, MO with my brother. This means she will be closer to me, only about 20 miles away. I am thinking this job move/my retirement, is coming at a good time, so I can spend more time with my mom. She just turned 86 and is not in the best health. 

Hopefully, I can get reacquainted with my quilting room in the next few weeks. May need to start quilting for business someday. 

Mary Beth:

I wish you the best in retirement and your new life.  I'm sad that you will not be answering my call any longer when I call about my Garmin GPS after February.  Too bad they cannot allow you to work the call center from your home, like a number of companies are starting to do.  Best of luck not getting too busy in your new lifestyle.  

Cagey

Thank you Lynn!! You are too kind. I still have the dream of opening a quilting school. I had found an older school building that was for sale. Would have made a perfect place for classes, a retreat, I could serve meals, plus it was 30 minutes from Missouri Star Quilt Shop. But as my dream was building, the school caught on fire. 

Happy retirement, Mary Beth.  Which KC community are you close to?  My daughter is close to Overland Park so I have had a chance to check out a few of the shops there.  It would be great if you created a retreat center there.  I know a few people close that would be fun to sew with.

I live in the northland on the Missouri side. I am half way between the airport and Liberty, MO. 

Retirement is the coolest when you have something to retire to! I love being home, quilting, riding horses, playing the fiddle, or just sitting on the porch with my hubby talking. And yes my mother is 88 this year and it's good to be with her also. She's a 15 minute drive away.

Enjoy it all!

Retirement is wonderful.  I retired at 59.5 yrs and am now 71.  Dh is 78.  I love being home but it is 24/24 with DH.  We have 2 cars.  His is a 2008 and only has 11,000 on it.  I love him to the moon and back but wish he still played golf or had something where he would be gone a few hours.  I do get up early and he shows up between 9-10 am.  So, I cook and make coffee on some mornings.  I do enjoy my quiet hours before he gets up.  I read, sew, quilt on my longarm.  I really don't miss working but could use a few hours (after he gets up) all to myself.  Anyone out there understand what I am trying to say?  Guess I just need a few 4 hours  a week where it is all for me.  Also, after all these years of cooking, ironing, washing, cleaning and raising two kids...there are days I just don't want to cook.  We have been married over 50 years...I think I am ready to retire from cooking and housekeeping too.

Archived