Fusible batting

The intended use of fusible batting is to secure the layers for quilting with a DSM. With a longarm the layers are kept separate and I don't know how you would load the already-fused layers so they could be quilted successfully. That said, you can certainly use that batting without fusing it as long as it isn't sticky---it washes out when laundering.

I actually had a client that submitted a fused batting with her top to be longarm quilted.  I didn't think there would be an issue using it. Well, when I inspected the batting I found area's where the fusing component (glue) was thicker in some areas than others making a pocket of hard gunk that I was afraid my machine needles would break if hit...yes, it was that hard. Picking it off of the batting it was like hard resin, stringy and in balls.  I told her that I could not use this batting.  I have not used any fused batting in longarm work and probably will not as I just don't want to take the chance of damaging my machine.   

Teyla

I use Hobbs fusible batting for small items using my DSM. Hobbs batting packaged in a bag is tightly packed (not folded). It is sticky and hard to smooth the batting out without actually ironing or fusing it. I would not recommend it for use on a longarm.

Leslie

Archived