sitting while quilting

Hi,  Do you sit down while quilting?  If so, what chair do you use?  Are you able to sit while quilting the majority of the quilt or just sit down now and again.

My arthritis is getting worse and worse and spending long hours at the quilting frame is taking its toll.

Thanks,

Charlene

I do almost 99% of my quilting sitting down.  I injured my back and my knee and I have arthritis so bad in both places now that I can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time.  I learned to sit down and do a lot of my quilting.  I have even learned to do my Circle Lord boards from the front.  It was difficult at first, but I had no other choice so I adapted my way of doing things.  I started off with numerous office chairs and sewing chairs then a tall engineering chair.  Then I bought a saddle chair.  They sort of worked, not ideal, but I made do with them.  This year I SPLURGED!  And I mean SPLURGED.  $1200 when all was said and done.  I bought a ErgoDepot chair.  I bought red leather and paid extra for the foot rest.  OMG!  It's heavenly.  My friends gasped and made fun of me at first, but after sitting on it they all agreed it was absolutely the best thing.  Go to the site and look at all the pictures and videos about it.  I can sit for quite a while.  I justified it by saying it cost about as much as the equipment would cost to be able to raise and lower my table so it was a wash.  I knew I had to do something to be able to continue quilting and this was the answer for me.  One of my most favorite purchases.  My Koala sewing and cutting tables are the tall ones so I can use it with those too and while ironing because it is so adjustable. 

https://www.ergodepot.com/seats/hag-capisco-chair.html

I also use a tall adjustable height office type chair with no arms and it has the foot rest ring.  I do a lot of applique quilts for customers and when I am working on a specific block I sit.  I am up and down which is good for your circulation. 

Oma that chair looks amazing but way out of my price range.  I think it is imperative to go and actually sit and try out the chair you choose.  I went to Paduca with a specific list of things I was interested in purchasing and one was the saddle stool, great concept but for me the form of the chair hurt my tail bone. 

Hope you find what works best for you.

I also have arthritis in my feet and they are really getting bad.  I'm learning how to use a chair to quilt but not quite there yet for all the quilting.  I have a really nice engineers chair that I got from work when they were selling some of their office furniture.  Very comfortable...I do wish it had a place for my feet but I just prop my feet up on the storage boxes under my frame.

My Knees are not great so If I can sit I do, but I have raised my table to 40 1/2" so it is comfortable for me to stand at to quilt. I have a drafting chair that is quite tall somebody was throwing it out I thought I would give it a try. I had to replace the roller and it was great rolling around but it still was not quite tall enough for me so added a pillow that was bulky and just not the right fit. Then I saw the Purple sit a pone that I bought at a second hand store for next to nothing and voila, it the Cat pajamas just the right height.  I can even do some ruler work sitting but it is scary.

Archived