Grandma's state Quilt

My dad passed away on July 7th. The next day I started cleaning out my mom's house. If I had not, she would have dug her heels in and stayed there. She cannot take care of herself, so she would either be living in assisted living or with us, she chose us. She now lives with my brother, a few miles from me, so I can see her every day if I want to.

While cleaning out their house I found so many goodies. One was this quilt (that I will attempt to post a picture of). My grandmother made this quilt top before Alaska and Hawaii became a state.

post-391-0-90270100-1474416006_thumb.jpg

When I found it I asked mom if she would use it if I quilted it. She said yes, immediately. Later she told me grandma made it and about the missing states. I can't wait to finish it for mom. But honestly, I forgot how much I hate doing pantos.

So Sweet for you to do this for your Mom. What do you hate about pantos? Ive never done one in my 3 years of longarming. I love free hand, or should I say free motion. I just got 2 with my new Lucey, so Ill try it. 

Pantos are so incredibly boring. If you can freehand....keep going. I am not very good at it, I have a hard time just going with the flow. I need to practice more, and after this quilt, that is the plan. 

That is such a keepsake!  and just put on some music you like and you will get it done.   

When I do freehand E2E I usually quilt too close together making the quilting take a long time so I like pantos because they keep the stitching evenly apart (even if they are a little boring!) and so it goes faster.

How neat is that quilt! What a special keepsake! Instead of mini candy bars at each end, how about a glass of wine. After a couple rows you will be Rockin' through that panto, having a good time.

On a somber note; sorry for your loss. I lost my father nearly 3 years ago, there isn't a day that goes by I don't miss him.

How neat is that quilt! What a special keepsake! Instead of mini candy bars at each end, how about a glass of wine. After a couple rows you will be Rockin' through that panto, having a good time.

On a somber note; sorry for your loss. I lost my father nearly 3 years ago, there isn't a day that goes by I don't miss him.

Oh my gosh Liam, I don't drink. Can you imagine what that panto would look like by the bottom of the quilt, lol. Whew!! I may come up with a whole new panto.

So sorry to hear about your dad's passing.  It can be such a painful time.  Bless you in taking care that your mom was safe and taken care.  I know what a task it is to clear the house.  I keep saying I won't do that to my kids but every inch of this house is full.  Enjoy the quilting process and the memories that go along with it.

Sorry for your loss.  What a treasure to find.  I can't believe how white it appears to be after all these years.  How old do you think it is?  Can't wait to see it finished

I soaked this top and several other older quilts in that quilt soak stuff you get at the quilt stores. It said to keep the water warm, and soak it for about 48 hours. I did, and this is the result. I washed all the tops first with a color catcher to make sure nothing bled, and I only washed light colors together. Then while the items were wet, I transferred them to a large tote that I had dissolved this soap solution in warm water. Then I added enough warm water to cover everything. I put a cutting board on top with a heavy pot on top to keep everything weighted down. I did this when summer was toasty, so the tote was in my garage where the water would stay good and warm. I was very pleased with the results. A lot of old dust and spots came out. There are still a few spots, but I am just calling that age spots....we all get them ;) 

Thank you all for your condolences. My dad has been sick for a few years, and he would have been 89 years old this month. My parents would have been married 70 years in November....I cannot even imagine that!! Dad lived a good long life. He was able to accomplish things in his life, and because he was a plaster, he left his mark on many churches, theaters and buildings in Springfield and Branson, Missouri. I like driving down a street and pointing to a building and say, "My daddy helped build that building!"

Archived