Stash Busting

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a pic of a Stash Buster quilt three of us; my Sister-In-Law and LisaE. made as a New Year's Challenge. We cut them out together just after New Years and each completed on their own as we all live in different communities. We found the pattern at a retreat where the shop owner was completing her border. It is a Glad Creations pattern called Piecer's Puzzle. It required 3/4 yard of 20 fabrics and 3+ yards of background. These were entirely out of our stash; none are quilted  yet; however, I pieced my backing since it is a Piecer's Puzzle.

30282307416_a9c3f3c709_k.jpg2016-03-31 10.24.16 by Lisa C., on Flickr

29686873004_fbc84c3374_k.jpg2016-01-09 10.17.01 by Lisa C., on Flickr

Here is a pic of a Stash Buster quilt three of us; my Sister-In-Law and LisaE. made as a New Year's Challenge. We cut them out together just after New Years and each completed on their own as we all live in different communities. We found the pattern at a retreat where the shop owner was completing her border. It is a Glad Creations pattern called Piecer's Puzzle. It required 3/4 yard of 20 fabrics and 3+ yards of background. These were entirely out of our stash; none are quilted  yet; however, I pieced my backing since it is a Piecer's Puzzle.

We had so much fun we are going to do another stash buster quilt!

Here's mine on the design wall.

post-1093-0-84582300-1476657988_thumb.jpeg

I looked at it the first time, then I pulled up the sample picture that shows all the fabrics included. Then I went to a different website, all the time saying "don't do it! don't do it!!" Then, before I knew what was happening I was back at MSQS. And then I pushed the button. You know what it is....it's Pay-Pal....makes it way, way too easy.

But it's so pretty......

Today I had a cortison injection in my lower back. I came home, took two pain pills, and the last thing I remembered was crawling under the covers. I woke up when my DH opened the garage door at 5:05. I came dragging down the stairs, went right to the fridge and fixed a sandwich and bowl of soup. Mid bite....I remembered the delivery. I had to act cool. I had to school myself not to let beads of sweat pop out on my forehead. Jason Bourne would have been so proud of me. DH said he would take the dog for a walk after dinner. I was drumming my fingers....waiting....waiting....he decided he could not get his wedding ring off. REALLY!!!!!! He goes on a search for Windex because he heard it would work....it did....take the dog for a walk. Finally, he did. He drives her over to the local high school and they walk around the football/baseball/soccer fields. As soon as his truck left our street, I hobbled out to the mailbox and retrieved my fabric order. Whew!!!!!

Mary Beth:

You better not look at MSQC Daily Deal today, because you can order two verses the normal one at the special low low price.  Either that, or you better start preparing for a clandestine mailbox rendezvous to recover your stash.  Its your mission if you accept it.  

Cagey

Thank you for all of your words of wisdom, and your helpful hints, for hid...I mean not buying fabric. I have learned some things on this journey.

1. I live really close to MSQS. If I order from them, I must not leave town for a few days.

2. Always go to the mailbox or check the front porch as soon as I get home from work.

3. Always, always, on Modays, bring the recycle bin back into the garage....if "He" sees it on the curb, he will go get it, and check the mail, since the recycle bin sits next to the mailbox on Mondays.

4. Ask other family members....who have mailboxes....if you could have a package delivered to their house. You don't need to tell them what it is....just let them believe it is a gift for....Him. People always like to be a part of a "scheme" or surprise.

I am sure I have other tricks up my sleeve....but this is all I can think of for now.

I guess I am a dormitory dub!

I really can go into a fabric shop, anyplace selling decent fabric,

and not buy any.

I do have a large stash.

I give some scraps to a gal in our guild, and have even taken

a lot to the Salvation Army, and our oldest daughter, alias "quilt monster", also shares my stash.

Right now we are trying to quilt, label and bind a butt-load of  UFO Tops.

It is hard finding fabrics large enough for a backing and I hate making them

patchwork style. 

If I can find and count them all, I will post it here.

• 4 weeks later...

ohhhh quilt backings.....I am getting quite the pile of those in my stash...I look on the sales shelves at all my local shops....and look for those bolts that have a lot on them and which I think would be great for backings....often get them 50-60% off the yardage...but alas...sometimes I decide nothing I have will do...so off to the shop to get one of those extra wide backings.....actually for a lot of my scrappy quilts...I do use those backings....it really isn't too hard to seam them together as I have one of those large folding tables and find by folding the end of the bolt over and measuring half the length of what I need, that I can get the 2-3 pieces I need to stitch together...I don't like trimming the salvages because often times they really aren't straight but I do the best I can....and use my walking foot for those seams...and most times I have a backing that is fairly square...where possible, I use the salvage ends that I did not have to trim as the edges to use to load the backing unto my frame....oh my, I really should stop here and get down to Lucey and load another of my tops.....Lin

Archived