What is the difference/advantages between the Smart Bobbin (L) or Big Bobbin (M)?

Pat

I believe the "smart" thinking was the L bobbin gave more consistent tension from full to empty. It has to do with the amount of difference in rotational speed obviously the M will have a greater difference in speed between full and empty. From what most are saying that have tried both they can't see a difference. Maybe this goes back to the days of the heavier steel bobbins. I don't know both of our machines still have the L. Another school of thought is most tension problems show up at a bobbin change so fewer changes fewer problems.

See how unhelpful I can be.

Nigel

You should ask someone at APQS and then tell us the technical reason. When I bought my Millie in 2004, all APQS had was the L size bobbin. Then they went to the option of the M size bobbin while I was away. When I purchased my used Liberty in Feburary this year, it was a 20009, but they gave me the option of bobbins. I selected the L. When I went to Carroll to pick up my machine, the guys loading it up went over everything I had, when they said I was getting the turbo winder I was so excited, I didn't know it was included in the price and felt I had hit the jackpot. I asked them to show me how it worked and they asked which bobbin size, I told them L, they gave me the whew!! kind of thing and said very good choice, but I didn't know why. I think it has to do with tension and better rotation. I know a lot of people here say they don't see a difference, but it seems to make a difference to they guys that deal with them technically.

Pat:

I would suggest you do a forum search for L verses M size bobbin discussions.  There go into great deal concerning the pros and the cons of each.  When I spoke to APQS prior to purchasing my George, I was told the L gave better tension performance.  Many M size owners will disagree with that comment.  Such is the beauty of having both available to you.  

When you wrote about the Smart Bobbin, what instantly popped into my head was Dave Ramsey.  I looked at the L verses M discussion as a cost issue.  Exactly as Dave would look at the matter.   I purchased 10 bobbin cases and 100 bobbins for about $50.  This way I can have a bobbin case set up for different specialty threads.  Plus I have a spare or two if something happens to a bobbin case.  A single M bobbin case will probably set you back more than $50.  While you get more thread and more quilting time, I need to move my rear end and stretch more frequently than I run out of bobbin thread.  The L makes me get up and move, plus is saves me money.  It is a win win for me.  Ducking for incoming fire from M bobbin owners :ph34r:   

Pat:  If you're trying to decide which bobbin system to order on a new machine, do yourself a favor and order one with the M bobbin.  As far as stitch quality goes, in my experience, there is no difference.  My experience is different from most in that I have a Ult 2 that came with the "smart" L system which I converted to M.  Same machine, both systems.

As far as cost goes, it is true that the M bobbins and bobbin cases do cost more than the L's.  But really, how many will you need to buy in your life time?  I have two long arms that have M bobbin systems, had them for more than six years, and I've bought two or three dozen bobbins.  Similarly I've bought two bobbin cases, the most expensive a TOWA costing me $42.

In my experience (I've quilted over 700 quilts), the most frequent tension/stitch quality issue occurs immediately after a bobbin change.  The M bobbin hold twice as much thread as the L.  Twice as much thread, half as many changes.  Now what's "smart" about changing bobbins twice as often?  In my humble opinion there's no contest.  Jim

Archived