Who has their paint chips and fabrics for Bonnie Hunters Mystery this year?

On 11/28/2016 at 0:09 PM, Mary Beth said:

I think I am a big talker. I dragged out all of my tubs to go through them. Started looking at the color wheel, and decided to take a nap. I am going to buy the fabrics, because I love the colors, and when I am finished, I will have some really cool stash colors. 

You are a wise woman!!

Yep I'm really tempted to do the same!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I have set it in my mind to just get the fabric. I love the colors, so it is settled. Now! Now, another group that I follow, hold onto your hat....a Dear Jane group....is starting a quilt along to make a block a week. I was thinking, "What the heck! I can do that." No I can't. Seriously, I think I hear Jane calling me, but Jane needs to come up with some money. I think I have to say no to Jane for now, and buy more fabric. So much for getting rid of my stash!

I will be doing the mystery too. But I haven't started the 4 patches and the next clue is due tomorrow. In the past I have waited until all the clues are posted and then I start. I have made the mysteries since Orca Bay. I think this will be my 5th. Good luck everyone.

Well I hope you are all happy with yourselves.  Nobody helped me with the colors choices so I could destash. My husband otherwise known as my "Color Guy" left me for the call of the BIG Bull Elk.   Mary Beth(wise woman that she is) said go buy more.  Little did I know, my little shop was having an end of the year sale.  The whole shop is 20-50% off including Wide Backing.  All I was gonna do was run in quickly get a couple small pieces to fill in  the colors, but no!!!  

Hello my Name is Nancy and I am a Faboholic!

I said to myself, "Self don't do it, you're stronger than this, run Nancy run, just go don't look back!"  But alas, the smell, the touch, the beauty, the price what could I do!!  Need I say more, I fell off the wagon and filled it with new fabric!!:blush:

45 minutes ago, Pepsi Girl said:

Mary Beth(wise woman that she is) said go buy more.  

This is huge!!! I had no idea I could influence someone from long distance!!! By power of suggestion. But they were having a sale!!!! When I read the line that the whole shop is 20 - 5o% off....You probably heard me gasp. How could you pass that up? You could get the prefect fabric for this mystery quilt. Again....how could you pass that up? You go girl. My shop is having a sale on Saturday. I am going to bed early on Friday night, so I can wake up fresh and ready to roll!!!

1 hour ago, Pepsi Girl said:

IS any one else having a hard time getting Part 2?  When I click on the link it goes to a "blank" page?  

Just google search En Provance part two That is how I got mine. I got a blank screen on her blog also There s so many trying it gets to busy and does not work

I am joining in on the fun everyone!!! I've never done a mystery quilt, but I'm loving all the buzz. I've got the first two clues, but I have a question. Since this is my first mystery quilt, I'm not sure if I'm reading the yardage requirements correctly, for example the Impulsive Purple says 2 yards. Is that a total of 2 yards or 2 yards of each color you choose? I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I pull/buy enough fabric. Frankly, I'm hoping I don't have to buy any because a few weeks ago, my realtor, who is also a friend of mine, let me come to her house and she gave, yes gave me four of those three drawer plastic bins and five trash bags full of fabric and told me to come back for more after I went through and organized what I had. She used to quilt when she was fighting breast cancer, and has two attics and a basement full of fabric that she is letting me go through. If I don't have the fabric I need, I'm sure she will let me come over and go through hers. This is good because I really don't want to have to go to the fabric store because I'll have to join Pepsi Girl and Mary Beth in Fabricaholics meetings. When I go into my local quilt shop, I feel like a kid that's been set in the middle of a candy store and told you have to pick one piece of candy. Ladies and gentlemen, fabric is my candy, and one piece just isn't enough to satisfy my sweet craving. I want it ALL!!!!!! Can anyone relate? Anyway, if someone could verify the yardage requirements for me, it would help me move forward. Thanks a bunch!!!

God Bless and Happy Quilting

Here is a message Bonnie posted on her blog about the mystery:

On the mystery front ---questions have been asked about our neutrals, do we need more?  We are not done.  And something to realize, if you are working from scraps or from smaller cuts of yardage as in fat-quarters, when cutting from these there may be less yield when cutting odd shapes like the tri-recs units because you can only cut so many down a strip, leaving more odd ends of waste where you can’t get another full unit, than if you were cutting from full width of fabric yardage.  So to those who are working strictly from scraps or fat quarters, yes, you might need some more.  There are still a couple of clues that use neutrals, but not near as much as we have used in the previous two clues.  It’s a mystery.  I can’t say any more than that.

If you are cutting with a die machine as in Accuquilt or Sizzix, there will be MORE WASTE so you will need MORE FABRIC.

I did use EQ7 to help calculate yardage needed as I did work strictly from my scrap stash, and in the past it has been MORE than sufficient for our yardage needs.  Just bear with me.

Also, DO NOT CUT ALL of your fabric into certain widths given with each clue because you don’t know what size we will be cutting the NEXT unit, or which fabrics we will use more of in a different width. Only cut as much as is needed for each clue, setting the remainder of the fabric aside for the next clue.  Don’t assume because we used 2’’ strips for clue one, that the entire quilt uses only 2’’ strips.

I do not give the “number of strips to cut” because we are all working from different directions.  Some from scraps, some from fat quarters, some from full width of fabric yardage and to me the number of units is MORE IMPORTANT than the number of strips you need to cut to get that many.  Depending on your strip length, do a test.  See what you can cut from one set of strips, and then do some simple math to figure out what YOU need to do with what you are working with to get the yield you need.  If you know you can get 16 from a strip, do the math to find out how many strips are required for you.

When it comes to fabric, MORE is ALWAYS better!

Carmen this is my first mystery quilt also.  And beyond that I don't do well with scrappy quilts.  I find doing scrappy is just to hard for my little pea brain. I've even tried the paper sack trick where you put all your pieces in a sack and what ever two pieces you pull out you have to sew together.  But it didn't work for me, I cheated, I kept putting them back in and pulling out different pieces.t2619.gifm1738.gif:unsure: That quilt took forever to finish.  I like to look at other peoples but I don't enjoy doing them myself.  So this is a big deal to me.  I think the "mystery" part is the only reason I'm able to do the scrappy part.  

So I'm  caught up with last week.  And I'm hopeful to be caught up completely by Friday's 3th clue.   

Have a Joyous Day Quilting!

I'm not very good at scappy quilting either. I have this thing about the fabrics I put in a quilt coming from the same line because if I don't, I feel overwhelmed. I really want to break away from this so I'm going to try doing this mystery quilt and see how I manage using scrappy fabrics. I also like the colors we're using so I'm hoping that will help me learn how to enjoy doing a scrappy quilt. I haven't pulled my fabric together yet much less started the first two clues. I'm in the middle of getting my room ready for Millie who should be shipped within the next 3 to 5 business days. I have so much going on right now, but I'll be on vacation the last week of the year so I'm hoping to begin working on the mystery quilt during that week. I'll have plenty of time to catch up, I hope!!!

God Bless & Happy Quilting

It a little bit of a bad time to start, in my opinion, but who asks me :) I am trying to finish up some Christmas presents, probably finishing on Saturday, then I will focus on getting caught up on the mystery quilt. My Tri Rec rulers will be delivered on Wednesday, then I will be able to get going.

I am part way through clue one and also about 3/4 way through clue 2....I enjoy doing these....it is fun to do scrappy once you make the plunge....I had a bit of a problem getting my clue 2 to come out the right size...I was using my accuquilt die...I had to skinny down my 1/4 inch seam and now it is coming out right....Bonnie does these free mystery quilts at this time of the year because this is her time to be home with her family.  She doesn't travel to teach during December.  For those of us who don't have much family left...it is a wonderful gift during this dark time of the year.  I live in northern Minnesota so it is getting darker and darker....and colder and colder...it is good way to spend time....especially with these bright colors .......of course, I do have plenty to do as I have 3 other quilts I am working on and at least 5 tops to do...Have fun everyone and if you don't have time to finish each clue as they come, no worries...there is no time line.  Bonnie's advice is to do at least a few of each clue as they come out.....but it is not a race.....just make sure you have the clues before she pulls them off the webpage which will be some time after the last clue that reveals just what we have been making.  Lin :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

It a little bit of a bad time to start, in my opinion, but who asks me :) I am trying to finish up some Christmas presents, probably finishing on Saturday, then I will focus on getting caught up on the mystery quilt. My Tri Rec rulers will be delivered on Wednesday, then I will be able to get going.

For those who do not have the rulers, Bonnie included a link for paper foundations. I print them on newspaper or "scribble paper" which I picked up at the hobby center, very reasonably priced, and on top of that, I had a coupon. When using paper foundations, you will need an "ADD-A-QUARTER" ruler. Working with bias edges is always a challenge for me and using paper foundations helps with the stretch issue.

Archived