MFP

Hi kids. After 2 months I finally graduated from my MFP class. Boy, talk about a lot of information. Quizzes,tests, and labs. What is MFP you ask? Master Food Preserver! I found out that there is a proper and SAFE way to preserve foods. My mother learnd from her mom and I found out mom was doing it wrong. Now I can teach her. What a grin on her face. Zeke

Congratulations Zeke!!!!!

We did a lot of canning when I was young...mom used hot water baths for most everything but the jelly...that she just poured into sterilized jelly glasses and covered with melted wax.....occasionally we would find a bit of mold growing on the jelly when I would go down and get a new jar and one time I found a jelly jar with all the jelly gone!  A mouse had chewed through the wax and had himself a feast.  Now we use a hot water bath with lips on the jars instead of the wax.  My great aunt used to also can venison as they did not have electricity....well they did, but it was the generator type and only used when company came.  I used to dehydrate some foods also in a food dehydrator...the pineapple and apples were great....but don't ever dehydrate onions in the house!  I learned that your nose fatigues out from the fumes after about a half hour....but don't be fooled, it is not gone and it permeates everything, your clothes, hair, and skin and you won't be fit for going out for quite a while after...don't ask me how I found that out.   Carrots, rutabagas, onions, potatoes all went into the cellar in the basement. 

Im a canner and gardener;wine maker, quilter... My favorite thing to can is tomato everything, sauce, paste, stewed, pizza and BBQ sauce. Oh and soup made with all those fresh vegetables just waiting for winter to be eaten. Ive always peressure canned everything. Congrats on your graduation. I Love quilting way so much more, but you can't eat your quilts. 

Corey, I'm in Amador county and took the class at a county office. You might want to try an agricultureal office close to you. They should be able to point you in the right direction. You also might try masterfoodpreserver(your county).com. Zeke. Good luck. You'll learn the right way to can and jar.

I worked for the University of Missouri Extension office here in Kansas City for a time. I had old canning books that had belonged to my grandmother. When I went to work there, my boss told me it would be a very good idea not to use them. I listened. My husband thinks if we lived through it, it must be ok. I think he is wrong. I follow the rules to the T. Congratulations on completing the class. I hope your mom takes it well, lol.

For those of you interested in the master food preserver program, try going to the University of California Cooperative Extension to get more information. They're the leading resource for the canning and jarring and preserving for Californians. For the world as far as I can tell. Zeke.

If you can't make it to California....check out your local extension office. Most counties have extension offices that are and "extension" of your state's university. Most extension offices offer classes on a variety of areas. Master Gardeners, Canning, even certifications for pest control. If you don't go to the classes, check out their websites, they always have printable handouts that help. I use them for gardening articles, and have a notebook with various techniques, like growing herbs, raised beds, composting, etc.  

• 4 weeks later...

Use a steam canner instead of a water bath canner.  Quicker and more effective.  Less water. Pressure canning your product that doesn't require pressure canning can degrade your product and make it taste funny and make it mushy.   You can get one on Amazon.  Get one with a temp knob on it's top.  Their about $50.  This way your product will be processed at 212 instead of at 240 degrees.  Remember to follow your direction the way the USDA has instructed you.   Zeke. 

Archived