Noisy Machine

My machine has been nothing but a sweetheart until today when it sounds like it needs oil and is vibrating. I've cleaned with WD40 and oiled everywhere I was told to. Is there something else I'm supposed to do and not aware of it? Doesn't vibrate until I really pick up speed. Never have had any of these problems so really not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

pat

Pat:

You did not say which machine you own. Also where does the noise seem to be coming from? What does the noise sound like? How long have you had the machine? It could be one of several things. If you want to reply via phone, post or email I would be glad to help you. My contact information is on our web site.

John

I'm sorry not to reply earlier - gone at work all week. I have a Liberty and the sound seems to be coming from above the needle. Not a really bad sound just sounds like it needs to be oiled up there. No metal on metal or grinding just a little noisier. Maybe it's just me but thought I should check it out nevertheless. Have oiled the wicks enough that the oil was dripping out so know I have that covered. Just not as smooth a sound as it was before. I've had my machine just a year this month. Thanx for the response.

pat

I experienced a very similar sudden noise and subtle vibration increase. I tried things mentioned here and eventually noticed that the cover on the back top of the machine was loose and coming out of the screw closest to the top thread cone holder. I tightened the screw down again and its been quiet ever since. :D

I am having serious problems with the thread breaking. It is actually driving me crazy.... so I guit early today.

It is shreading and breaks about every 100 stiches or so. I have looked at the APQS manual, but it says you may be going to slow or too fast..... go figure.

Help... where do I look for burs on the machine?

No clue here.... I have a Millennium

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Ia. 50009

I once discovered a burr on the outside of the bobbin hook mechanism (the rounded metal area that holds the bobbin case in place). I am not sure how the burr got there, but I filed it with some fine sandpaper and my problem disappeared. If you can't find a burr, and you have already tried a new needle, check your thread. Thread cones or spools can be bad! The thread can be rotten, or there may be a slight cut that affects several layers of thread as it unwinds.

Other places to check for burrs include thread guides and the needle plate, as well as the bobbin case itself. Perhaps someone with more experience can suggest other places to look for burrs.

There are many things that can cause thread breakage. You didn't say how old your Millie is. If it has made lots of quilts the pigtail guides can get a groove worn in them. Take a toothpick and feel around inside of the quides. Also use your toothpick to check the hook assy. Your book tells you the places to check on your hook. I work on many makes of machines and the throat plate on a Millie is stainless steel and I have never seen a groove worn in one yet. The quilt could be too tight, add poly batting and your have another factor to increase thread breakage. Check out superiorthreads.com and click on education. Many helpful hints here. Could even be a problem with your thread. Try another spool. Have you replaced the needle? Just a few things to check.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived