My special quilting friend (pics)

The following pictures chronicle my journey with my 6 yr old neighbor, Garrett (he just turned 7 on May 4). He approached me last year and wanted me to teach him to make a quilt for his nanny (grandma). She is a breast cancer survivor so he wanted the quilt to be in shades of pink.

So we went shopping for fabric on Super Bowl Sunday. I rotary cut the fabric and then Garrett and I got together for sewing sessions. Because his legs aren't yet long enough to reach the foot pedal, I placed the foot pedal on a wooden box and added two chair cushions to lift him up. He loved that automatic thread cutter...caught right on to that!!

Garrett did an amazing job...he followed directions and payed attention to details. I will say that 47 minutes was the max for each sewing session!! The only areas that I did for him were the borders and binding. He did everything else himself. We attached a quilt label showing him sewing his quilt and he came up with the words "To My Nanny, I wish you could stay alive until you are 100 years old. I hope everyday when you get cold you use this blanket. I love you forever. Love, Garrett"

His reward for hard work was running Millie this past weekend. Because he isn't tall enough yet to reach the machine from the front, I had him quilt from the back of the machine using the Circle Lord clam shell template. He caught right on and in less than 47 minutes he was done!

What really amazed his mom was that he didn't breath a word about our project to his nanny. But yesterday when he came and picked up his quilt he was busting at the seams and couldn't wait to present it to his nanny. I understand there were lots of tears and she told Garrett that this was the nicest present she had ever gotten.

Here's a series of pictures...this first one is Garrett showing his quilt label. I'm just so proud of him. What a sweetie!

Lisa Potter

Buzzy Bee Quilting

post--13461898054019_thumb.jpg

lpotter, what a beautiful way to start the day - reading this story and seeing this sweet boy! What a wonderful experience this was for you! Thank you so much for putting it on here so we all can have the joy of knowing this little boy a tiny bit. What a wonderful family he must have. I hope his Nanny lives 100 years too! Blessings on them.

PS What kind of thread did you use to stitch over the label? It doesn't seem to show, and I thought long and hard when I did my last quilt to be sure the stitching wouldn't disrupt the words too much. You seem to have done just the right thing.

Hi Patty, I used Bottomline in the bobbin...a light pink so it wouldn't disrupt the label too much. I used King Tut on top. It did turn out well!

BTW, the last picture shows Garrett with his mom Jamie. She just couldn't have been more proud of him.

Thanks, Lisa

Ipotter,

What a beautiful story. It brought tears to my eyes when I read it. Not because I was sad, but because you took the time for that special child so he could give something special to his Grandmother. :)

God Bless you and your little friend for making that Grandmother's day.

Donna Gale Hays

Lisa,

I hope you show Garrett his quilt on this site and tell him how wonderful a person we think he is (and we think you are too!). I figure this is Grandma's lessons coming through Mom to son and being given back to Grandma. That is one beautiful quilt.

I'm sure she did cry....I'm bawling and he's not even my grandson....what an amazing little tiger...may he have many years with his precious Nanny. God's little gifts are so amazing to me, and the caring this little dude has for his Grandma, really hit me hard. When you see this precious little guy again, give him a huge hug from me....and tell him he made another Grandma smile today.

I feel like I'm about to burst into tears at such a sweet story!!! When I hear something about a young child who shows different characteristics...good or bad...it makes me stop and wonder what is in store for him/her. Where will that compassion take that little boy in life??

Thanks for a great feel good story!!!

Jamie, Garrett's mom, just sent me a couple of pictures of Nanny receiving Garrett's special gift. I've spent today in tears reading all of your wonderful comments. Jamie is going to read all of them to Garrett tonight and will print them out and save them in his scrapbook. Jamie and Nanny have also spent the day in tears! Thanks for making their day so special. God bless all of you. Here's a couple of pictures that tell the whole story!

Lisa

post--13461898062085_thumb.jpg

Oh dear.....I am crying here too. What a sweet heart this young man has....

Thank You so much for sharing this wonderful story to us all. And thank you for helping him do this for his grandmother that he loves so dearly.....

That Garrett is one exceptional kid. There is something extremely special about that little boy. Only good things will come from this world with Garrett as part of it. We all are so lucky to have such a wonderful human. God bless Garrett and all the lives he touches. Lisa, thank you for helping little Garrett make his dream come true and for making a milestone in his family's memories forever. You are an angel for stepping up to the opportunity and for letting him fly on the wings he has been given. He has big wings and I think they will take him to even higher heights. Such a cool kid. Awesome story. Please tell Garrett that I am very proud of the young man he is becoming. I can't imagine all of the potential he has if this is event just a small sampling. Wow.

Love, Shana

Beautiful young man, amazing quilt :) I can't see for the tears.

This is the bestest medicine! Nanna must be feeling better already :)

How proud you must feel to have been a part of this great project.

The world sure can use a few more Garretts.

Thanks so much for sharing, I think you guys make a great team :) :) :)

Cheers Satu

Thank you so much for sharing this story! It has blessed so many of us here. It is so important to hear stories like this. It kind of puts life more in the perspective it should be in. We have a special love of making quilts, and those, when given selflessly, as Garrett did, send that wonderful, warm love to others that lasts as long as that quilt exists. Your selfless act of helping Garrett do this for his nanny shows your character and love also. I'm having trouble keeping my eyes clear enough to see my computer screen because I'm so touched by your actions of wanting to help Garrett give a gift of love to his nanny!!!

Archived