Looking for ideas to quilt.

Sami:

If you want the Cross in the center of the heart to stand out, I say in a thread that contrasts with the background brown/pinks lines radiating out from the center of the cross.  Woodgrain in the cross.

Free form feather filling the Heart outline.  You could carry out your feathers to make a more sharp actual heart-shape around the squared pieced heart.

Then three graduated from bottom to top, circles.  That is to say larger circles on the bottom, approximately 1/3rd way up; not a straight line across the quilt, graduated to a middle sized circles, then about a 1/3rd way up graduated to small circles.  Throw a few different sized circles in each just for contrast.  To me you want to background outside the heart to be tight and dense, so the heart and the cross stand out.  The circles could be teardrops, or any shape you like, but the shapes need to be different sizes, and not a uniform graduated line from one side to the other, as the piecing is more freeform.  

That is what the quilt speaks to me.

Cagey

I would also suggest quilting feathers in the background areas and maybe just stitch in the ditch the cross and then quilt in 1/4 of an inch from the edge.  You could do a swirl type of filler in the background and quilt feathers in the purple heart area instead.  Is your daughter at Oklahoma State or Ohio State? I'm from near Shawnee, OK.  What about you?

7 hours ago, dlnewell said:

I would also suggest quilting feathers in the background areas and maybe just stitch in the ditch the cross and then quilt in 1/4 of an inch from the edge.  You could do a swirl type of filler in the background and quilt feathers in the purple heart area instead.  Is your daughter at Oklahoma State or Ohio State? I'm from near Shawnee, OK.  What about you?

Or it could be Oregon State

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 0:48 PM, Cagey said:

Sami:

If you want the Cross in the center of the heart to stand out, I say in a thread that contrasts with the background brown/pinks lines radiating out from the center of the cross.  Woodgrain in the cross.

Free form feather filling the Heart outline.  You could carry out your feathers to make a more sharp actual heart-shape around the squared pieced heart.

Then three graduated from bottom to top, circles.  That is to say larger circles on the bottom, approximately 1/3rd way up; not a straight line across the quilt, graduated to a middle sized circles, then about a 1/3rd way up graduated to small circles.  Throw a few different sized circles in each just for contrast.  To me you want to background outside the heart to be tight and dense, so the heart and the cross stand out.  The circles could be teardrops, or any shape you like, but the shapes need to be different sizes, and not a uniform graduated line from one side to the other, as the piecing is more freeform.  

That is what the quilt speaks to me.

Cagey

Thank you for your suggestion.  I was also on the same sort of idea.

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 1:57 PM, dlnewell said:

Oklahoma State. Thank you for your idea. I'm still learning how to blog, so sorry for late responses. LOL

Archived