Storing pattern boards???

How do you quilters store your pattern boards?    We are building a new home and I will have a nice quilt studio with a big closet...........looking for ideas of storing pattern boards so they are easy to see and pull out as needed..............any suggestions?  

Linda

Linda,

I remember this topic being discussed several years ago.  One member, I think it was Georgene Huggett had a custom built storage box built.  I seem to remember that she had a set of design plans too.  Georgene is an APQS rep in Virginia.  If you would like her contact information it can be found on the dealer page.  I tried to find the discussion but it must have been before the site was updated several years ago and we lost our bookmarked pages so I wasn't successful.  Have fun designing your new sewing room!

Linda:  It probably depends on how many you have, and what size they are.  I probably have a dozen and a half for my Quiltazoid, (and a couple R&S boards I bought from you) and I simply hang them on my the wall via one of the holes that is already in the board.  I think I have 4 or 5 fairly heavy finishing nails driven into the trim on my walls.  I simply hang 3 or 4 on each nail.  Not the best way to see what I have, but then I pretty much know what's there, and it only takes a couple of moments to find the one I'm looking for.  If you have a lot of them, then you'd need a better way to display them so you could easily find what you wanted.  Similarly, if they're too big or heavy to hang up, my approach wouldn't work.  Jim

Thanks.........great ideas...........think I have a plan...........I will have a nice closet in my new room and planning it with a section for the pattern boards........I hoped to store them vertically .......... looked and looked online for shelf dividers of some kind..............finally came on the idea to use spring tension curtain rods between the top and bottom of the space........they will stand vertical..........two rods about 6" apart...........then skip about 6" and two more rods, etc..........In my mind, this will work...........will see how it really works when I get to that point..........some of my boards are 28" long........more are around 24".........thinking of doing the same arrangement for my bolts of fabric..........now I have them stacked on top of each other............of course, I always want the one on the bottom............hoping to have them standing like in the fabric store.........one other nice thing about using the rods...........they are movable..........my DH liked the idea that he didn't have to use any tools to install something else !   :)

I believe if you visit Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, you will find they make a heavier duty tension type devise to help hold items in the back of a truck or trailer.  They work the same way as a tension rod, but are simply made stronger to hold heavier items than sheer curtains.

Cagey

Archived