Blog post and quilter's strip poker

• 3 years later...

I've read the post, it's wonderful and very sincere. I was hooked on the story about Dorothy. Indeed, things that are made by someone's lovely hands will always remind us of the closest and dearest people. By the way, I recently offered to do the quilt to my mother and she really liked it! Thank you for such an inspiring occupation and a blog where you talk about it.
P.S. Poker online game isn't about this thread, but you would at least choose better platforms.

Thanks Selena. I have missed Dorothy. It took me over a year to part with her stash. I would occasionally sew with a bag of her fabric nearby. Many of my quilting friends bought her fabric and supplies and all of the money I collected from the sale was sent to her favorite charity: Healthy Women, Healthy Liberia. She served as their treasurer for several years.It is a real blessings when I see her fabric in quilts made by my guild sisters. I haven't posted in the blog since then - life has seasons.

Nick, just to clarify Quilters' Strip Poker is NOT a card game!! It is a hilarious and often riotous game involving 2.5" strips of fabric often played by quilters at a quilting retreat. Whoever wins the game winds up with ALL of the 2.5" strips and my guild expects the winner to make a quilt from them to show the guild at the next meeting. Blessings ALL!

Hello, you don’t usually find such posts on forums, you know it’s not a motivational or other type of posts, it is just a post for the soul, a post that will make you smile when you read it. I wish you success in you beautiful hobby, I can see through your words that you love your occupation. If about poker, click here, maybe you will find more interesting websites, that will help you spend your free time.

Hi Kylie - thanks for your sweet comment. The art / craft / hobby / calling of making quilts is at least 3,000 years old. Yes, we meet together to hone skills, get inspired to try something new, gather people to bus to a quilt show, etc. BUT quilting really isn't about all of that when you look between the layers. It's about loving family (and making sure every member has several quilts) and loving each other. It's about the fabric and pieces and journeys of life. Quilters love to sew - but, I believe, for most of us, we love doing it with each other, as family. My favorite day of the month is when my friend Sally comes to spend the day with me in the studio - sewing and laughing and sharing and supporting each other through life.

My routine is changing. The Lord has drawn me aside from designing quilts, developing patterns, and from most quilting jobs, to focus on making quilts for teens who have been uprooted from their homes due to their parents' arrests or other reasons, and are waiting to be placed in foster care. Check out Isaiah 1:17 House. My goal is 12 quilts this year for them. Sally is working with me, also, so I expect we will produce many more than that.

This is all happening along with being enrolled in Bible College - at the age of 76! Yikes. I can hardly wait to find out how the Lord will weave this all together!

Blessings and a beautiful day!

• 1 month later...

You have a lot of beautiful things there, I enjoyed to read everything on your blog. Despite of the fact that I am much younger, I am mature enough to start to understand what we should cherish in this life, because we don't see many interesting things around that makes our life more beautiful. I also have a blog about culinary and it is a website hosted by fortunelords.com. There, I speak about many interesting things happened to me in the kitchen and a lot of tips and tricks for real cookers.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:51 AM, Sharon Deming said:

Thanks Selena. I have missed Dorothy. It took me over a year to part with her stash. I would occasionally sew with a bag of her fabric nearby. Many of my quilting friends bought her fabric and supplies and all of the money I collected from the sale was sent to her favorite charity: Healthy Women, Healthy Liberia. She served as their treasurer for several years.It is a real blessings when I see her fabric in quilts made by my guild sisters. I haven't posted in the blog since then - life has seasons.

Nick, just to clarify Quilters' Strip Poker is NOT a card game!! It is a hilarious and often riotous game involving 2.5" strips of fabric often played by quilters at a quilting retreat. Whoever wins the game winds up with ALL of the 2.5" strips and my guild expects the winner to make a quilt from them to show the guild at the next meeting. Blessings ALL!

I would like to know the directions for playing the Quilters' Strip Poker.  We play the left, right, center game at our retreats and I would like something new to try.  

Thanks,

Hi Sharon. We play L, R, C version as well. I don't know about other options. I did find a sort of card game involving 2.5" strip when I googled quilters strip poker - but the point was to make blocks from the patterns printed on the cards. But I couldn't find where to buy the cards. We play other sorts of games too. Just google games for quilting retreats. I'll bet you will find all sorts of fun games for quilters.