2 Questions - paper and needle holes

Laurie

Hi, all. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help with. I have quilted a small quilt - my first shop sample - and I didn't like the border design I did. I slept on it last night and this morning I ripped it out.

So my first question is this: How do I diminish the previous stitching marks?

I don't know that the quilt will be washed as it is a shop sample. After deciding what I did want to quilt on the borders, I traced the pattern onto Golden Threads paper, pinned it to the quilt and stitched.

Much better.....but that leads me to my next question: What is the best marking tool on that paper and what is the most useful way to "stick" it to the quilt? Ok, a two-part question ;-)........ I used air-erasable ink and it worked ok. I know not to use anything permanent....... .

Thanks for any help with either of these dilemmas.

Laurie,

To answer question one....how to get the stitch marks off a quilt that you have had to frog....if its a regular fabric meaning not a Batik they will work out with time. A Batik you would have to dampen it a bit...with a clean cloth and clear water thats rung dry works for me to remove marks that I don't want a customer to see.

Now question two: traced pattern onto Golden Threads...like you said STAY AWAY from anything permanent like a in pen or a graphite pencil, or even sharpie pens...these can leave permanent marks on the fabric when the needle works down through it. I use a purple air erase or the blue water removal pens. If someone else uses a different product hope they will share as well.

And part two of the question how to attach it....there are several products out there that I use. KK2000, 505 spray and Sullivan Quilt Basting spray. Now which one do I use the most...Honestly Sullivan's only because I have more around. Spraying only one the paper and then place on the fabric.

Now if the outside air is really humid the KK2000 and 505 Spray have a lesser life time, their sticky only lasts about 24 hours in humdity where the Sullivan's stays until you wash it...the tacky leaves after a few days, but the product does stay until its washed out so if you are trying to do a design I only work what is in front of me....not paste the whole quilt with the paper designs.

Thanks, Bonnie, for the reply. The needle marks were still there a bit this morning even after a light spritzing. I took it in to the shop and the owner really liked it (good!). Another employee suggested tossing it into the dryer for a bit as a way of a solution so that is something I can try in the future.

I do have some basting spray - both Sullivan's and the 505 kind. I will give that a try next time. I wonder if those little dots I have seen at the Golden Threads website are worth the $$.......I also wonder if Michaels has them in the scrapbooking section.....

Since you are familiar with the air erasable pen, (purple, right?) then of course you probably know the blue pen needs to be erased either by washing or spritzing or you can use the white eraser pen by Clover.

That white eraser pen is good to use to rub needle marks out. Not perfectly gone but it really does relax the holes a lot and moves the threads back into place.

Archived