Thread breakage and thread nests

I have a George, and when stitching in reverse, have been experiencing frequent thread breakage and thread nests on the back of the quilt.  I am using 100wt. silk on the top and Aurifil 50wt. in the bobbin.  This has been a winning thread combination for me once I learned to super-loosen bobbin tension and tighten top tension until the stitches are balanced.  The breakage and thread nests do not occur when stitching forward.

Is this happening as you change directions, to reverse?  Like at a point?  It might be the bobbin is over spinning, I.e. Isn't coming to a stop, before you change directions and therefore getting caught up.  Hard to explain.  What does the thread look like coming from the bobbin case after this?  Any extra thread unwound in there or caught up?  You may have to slow your hands and stitching down as you approach the turnaround point so the bobbin gets a chance to slow down too.  Just a thought.  I could be way off here, as I've not used a George, but I had that issue on my Sweet 16 Sitdown.   I'm sure someone else will chime in here to help.

Archived