Please Pray (Daniel Update)

I know what wonderful prayer warriors there are on this site. I have seen the requests and I have prayed along with all of you. Now I need to ask for prayer for my son. Daniel is 10 and in the 4th grade. The school called today and they rushed him to the hospital because he was unresponsive, showing signs of a stoke, throwing up. The hospital ran all kinds of tests and they are all fine. When they poked his finger to check his sugar he came around some but was still disoriented. Finally he started coming around and is fine now but have no explanation as to what happened. He goes to see the pediatrition Monday and we are requesting that he be seen at the U of M hospital by a neurologist. Last week he didn't feel well and came home from school. He was weak and lathargic but slowly responding. I'm scared but not knowing what is going is driving me mad.

Here is a picture of my little boy.

post--13461898093592_thumb.jpg

Sheryl,

We will pray for Daniel. Please urge them to check him for Type 1 juvenile diabetes. The same thing happened to my niece when she was 8. She is doing much better now, 2 years later, but they are still trying to get her insulin regulated. She did not respond when this emergency happened, and they took her to Johns Hopkins in an insulin induced coma.

Please let us know how every thing is going.

Sheryl,

In reading your story about Daniel....my first thought was as Teresa's....Juvenile Diabetes. Daniel is doing exactly the same thing that one of my ex-boyfriends from High School went through when he was nine, and has been on insulin since about 1964.

I will place Daniel also on my prayer list, and with God's will this won't be Daniel's story as well. Its so rough living with this...I would not wish it upon anyone.

They checked his sugar when they got him to the hospital because that was their first thought. It was 102. Diabetes is on both sides of Daniels family Juvenile and Type 2. My nephew was doing the same thing for 8 months before his finally showed high and then he was semi-coma. I going to get a meter and keep an eye on it. It can't hurt, other than the poke. I don't wish it to be that but if he is to have something I would rather it be that and not epilepsy or something that can't be controlled.

We see the doctor Monday morning. I will keep everyone posted. I feel like I have the whole world as friends with all of you.

Thank you

Sheryl,

I will be praying for your son Daniel. I know there is a fear of the unknown, but just know we are all with you in prayer and in spirit. This is a great bunch of caring women - you have come to the right place with your request.

Mary Beth

Sheryl,

Daniel will be fine, he will be OK. Think good and positive things and know there is a happy ending. Your son and your husband need your backbone and strength right now. This is the strength only a woman has and your guys need you for that right now. I am sending you and that cute little son of yours my wishes and prayers.

Dear Sheryl, my prayers are added to the others' for Daniel. I am in the same situation right now, only without the throwing up. My son has been referred to a psychiatrist, but has no appointment until Monday morning. We have see the acupuncturist, but I gave him the option of taking the needles that day or not. Mistake on my part, I was told. My son is my world, so I know what you must be feeling.

God is with us, this much I know. God is with Daniel, and He knows what to do. We can trust the physicians He has sent for our children. I know that is all I can do. I have researched over and over on the internet and talked with people, but worrying only makes me so afraid I cannot function. I hope you will be able to trust the Jesus is walking by your side.

They will find out what's wrong and they will have a solution, I know, for Daniel and for my John, 6th grade. They are not the same thing, most likely, but I know what it is to feel so afraid because you cannot help your child. We can trust our God. He's an awesome God! And we are with you on this, sister. Count on it, and count on Him.

Sheryl and Patty, lifting your precious sons up the throne room of our heavenly Father, may He walkd by your side during this difficult time and may the doctors be given wisdom so they will know how to treat them and make them well. Remember it is He to whom we can always run to in our times of trouble and care. He is truly our Shepherd.

Daniel went to the doctor today. He wants us to monitor his sugar levels. That didn't go over well with Daniel having to get his finger poked seveal times a day but he is understanding. We will be going to the U of M hospital for a neurological evaluation to see if it was a seizure. I will keep you all posted and thanks for the prayers I feel them. My husbands grandmother passed away Saturday so we have that going on and I won't even mention the other troubles, but your prayers are like quilts, they give comfort.

Hugs and quilts to all!

Bummer, I bet that pokey thingy does hurt....well chin, up kiddo. WE are all hanging in here with you...your not alone, and you will get through this one as well.

So sorry to hear about your Grandmother-in-law, its rough right now I'm sure...smile we are thinking of you and your family.

Thanks, everyone, and Sheryl I send more prayers to comfort you and yours. May the neuro give an answer that comforts too.

My Johnny saw the psychiatrist today, who says he wants to see him alone in June (will be out o' town till then). Was a very, very nice man, and said some of the things the teacher was worried about were just his very creative imagination, which is what I thought. He said sometimes Tourette's and tics can be caused by emotional upsets kids don't have any idea what to do with, so talking to this doc could be the thing he needs. I can sure tell you my son has been telling me he feels uncared for by the school system and adults-that-be in positions of instruction in his life, as everything seems geared for bullies and drug-abusers, even at the elementary level. And in his elementary school there were no bullies or drug-abusers, he says, nor are there at his middle school. Also he truly does feel pressured to get too much homework done, and fears having the next batch dumped on him. His seizure-like symptoms were described in the Tourette's website, and the sedative his neurologist has him on is explained there too. It will apparently take weeks for it to be effective, so this could go on for a long time. But I have a feeling if we relieve some of the stress by talking with the psych. doc and getting acupuncture, he may improve before the drug takes its full effect anyway.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers and your quilted hugs. I am carried by His grace through your loving words and comfort. I am given images to remind me not to jump out in front of the One who goes before us, and I put my hand in His, and my son in His keeping. I know He will hold him better than I ever could.

Of course, that's easy to say today, when some fears have been allayed, but at night when the worst symptoms come I want to run far away and scream. Coming here to read your kind words keeps me from my own hysteria. Thanks be to God!

Please let us know if we can mail Daniel and cards and wish him well. He should know that everyone has their limitations, but that many people live long happy lives with any disabilities. God has given us all the strength of will and spirit to survive many shortcomings. The body and chemistry can be pretty scarey when you're a kid, but as long as he knows he can adapt and be a "normal" kid, he's going to be fine. He'll have some limitations, for sure, but he needs to know that HE is in control. He should never feel helpless.

I was feeling pretty down yesterday, had Grandma's funeral, Daniel is fighting us on checking his sugar and everything else. During the funeral the pastor read something that my MIL found in Grandma's bible, a list of her blessings. It was written when she was 86, 5 years ago. She listed her family, her church, thankful for the sight in her right eye, no mention of losing the sight in the left due to a bad cataract surgery. Thankful for her feet, not that she had to bandage them every morning so her ankles would support her. Everything was positive. So here are my blessings:

My Savior who set me free

My country that allows me to worship

Loving husband

My children all 3 of them

My Mother, sisters and brothers

My In-laws

My home

My business

My friends whom I have met and those on this site

God Bless each and everyone and my we all remember to count our blessings instead of listing all thats wrong.

Oh good, I can post again, yippee!

Thank you, Sheryl, for the positive outlook. Blessings are something I began to count yesterday in an email to a friend, thanking her for her support. It was amazing how many I could reel off without even thinking hard about it.

Still sending prayers for your sweet little boy. We believe mine has Tourette's, which is not so hard to deal with as some other things. Thank God! But still difficult in some ways. Yesterday he was supposed to have a track meet, but the bus left at 3:20 (school gets out now at 3:45), and no one told him. What the blankety-blank do those teachers think he is, a walking connected computer or something? His dad drove all the way down from OHSU (about 20 miles) through the afternoon traffic (NOT fun), and it was good you couldn't hear him swear as we walked to the car when he found out John was not there. I only knew where he was because our daughter called to tell me he was at home. DH wants to sue the school for not taking proper care of our kids, as we were not told he didn't show up at the track meet.

Oh dear.... this was supposed to be about blessings. I will post the ones I began listing in my email to my pastor/friend yesterday totally spontaneously (we know Who gave me those).

"I am amazed at what God has placed in the community as resources for us already. The ancient learning available to us now, the modern science

giving us new remedies for just such a time. The supermarkets and grocers trending toward healthier diets nowadays. People who have walked

this path before me ready to share their experiences. You and others at Lake Grove, and my sister reminding of His hand in mine. So many

blessings I'd never know if life were perfect."

I will think of Daniel today. Bless him!

Archived