longarm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

If you check out quilting frames online. You will find some. Hinterberg is one and Grace is another. I have the Hinterberg and it is 12 ft long and can acommendate a machine about 20 inches on it with about 18" throat. Very sturdy, not as bulky as the Grace with sturdier legs. It does not have the wood around the machine like the Grace. Maybe this would suit you for your machine. Look online at: www.hinterberg.com to see the spects on all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked the Hinterberg site. They have orders for their 17" machine until November 2005. Price is $1995. plus shipping. Wonder if it would fit on my table and frame setup?

I just recieved in the mail, from APQS about a class in Philadelphia on March 10,11,12. I will try to convince DH we should go. I wish they would have one in Scranton or Tunkhannock PA. That would be more convenient for us. I don't know if an APQS machine would fit on my trolley system. I only need a macine with a longer throat than my 8" that I use now. I have 19 tops to do by next Xmas. It took me two years to do one by hand.

Marion,

If you are sure you want to use your existing frame instead of getting a complete set-up, I don't believe you are going to find any long-arms that will fit on it except possibly the Nolting Hobby Quilter. It is suppossed to fit on most tabletop frames I believe. I think it has a 16" throat.

Have you asked APQS if they have any used complete set-ups that you might like? You could always sell your existing frame to someone who just wants to use their regular sewing machine on it and move up to a regular longarm for yourself.

Are all 19 quilts yours? Sounds as bad as me. I had a whole closet full of quilt tops on hangers waiting for me to get my machine. And they were all mine! But I'm making a dent in them now.

I've taught quilting classes for the past 14 years and do the models myself. Lots of times I am so busy that the top gets made for class but not quilted. Hence the closet full of tops. :D

Having a longarm doesn't always mean you'll get your own tops done. I just checked my list and I have 37 of my own tops waiting to be quilted. That is not good! :o

Those are the tops that are finished and waiting for quilting. I don't even want to think about how many tops are started and not finished. I'm going to do better!!:P

Judy, there is an up side to that. Must mean you are making $$$$$ if you are doing so many customer quilts that you can't get your own done! As problems go, that is a pretty good one to have. :D

Everytime I see a posting from you I smile & think of home. I was born in Kentucky & lived alot of my childhood there.

Hi! Just want to say they are all my quilt tops. I am not good enough to do other peoples' quilt tops. I have done several by hand it takes about two years for each one from start to finish. I worked at House of Fabrics 3 years and owed them more than my paycheck each week. I have totes full of fabric I have to use up. I did do several practice quilts. One I did was so stiff from all the quilting it would make a better rug. I did swirls feathers stars loops outline, echo you name it I tried it. These were mostly scrap quilts from leftover fabric from other projects. I have 9 grand kids 3 step grandkids and even some great step grand kids. I used to sew for them but they only want things from GAP or OLD NAVY so I gave up. I will probably donate some of the practice quilts. Just finished paying for a DSE so will have to save up for my next machine.

Archived