I have a customer quilt coming in 120 inches square and she wants puffy batting. I have IQ and APQS freedom and was wondering if I will have trouble by the time I get to the end  if I will be getting obstruction messages with that much bulk rubbing on the rollers or machine bed. Thank.

Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an ULT I and use 13 oz poly bat on some of my customer quilts.  I don't have any problem with it.  When I'm using a really thick batting like that, I usually make sure my stitching is fairly large and open.  If you stitch it too tight, you may have problems by the time you get to the end of the quilt with the quilt "shrinking" as you quilt.  Sorry, but I couldn't think of the right word.  Also, if you are using a very puffy batting, and quilted it in a tight pattern, you will be losing the puffiness of the extra thick bat.  I don't have any problems with queen sized quilts with thick batting -- the take up roller doesn't get bogged down and I don't find any rubbing.  By the end of your quilt, your quiltable area will be a little smaller than at the beginning simply because your effective throat space will be taken up by the bulk of the quilt on the take up roller, but it's not an appreciable difference (maybe an inch or two).  Hope this helps.

Archived