broken threads on finished quilt

kmkmkl

I have a quilt that was quilted with an Ultimate 1 last year. It has a fairly heavy fleece blanket on the back. Now the threads are starting to break. It was quilted with a high quality thread, So Fine" from Superior Threads. Do you think the weight and stretch of the fleece backing is causing the thread breakage?

Years ago my quilter quilted a king size quilt with just diagonal lines about 8" apart and just making the bed caused the stitches to break. It had 80x20 cotton poly batting and cotton both sides. I would absolutely agree your stretchy fabric is the  culprit, especially if it not quilted very heavily.

Also check your thread to make sure it is not old even if it is a quality thread. Give a few tugs on a length of thread between your hands. If it breaks, it's old and you might as well throw it away. I've never used fleece so I have no experience with it, but using a higher stitch per inch might help too.

These are all a great help. I have an older quilting machine, Ultimate 1, and there is something not quite right in that I can use SO Fine and it works like a charm but any other threads like Omni just breaks and breaks. I would like to be able to use King Tut and even the heavier So Fine but it just won't stop breaking. So I stick with So Fine.

Thank you so much for the feed back.

Archived