When I was finishing the last 3 rows of my last quilt something happened, that I still cannot figure out. I stitched about 3 or 4 rows just fine. Then, out of the blue, working from the back of the machine, going right to left was fine, going back left to right my top thread would break. Finally, I stopped going left to right and finished the quilt going right to left. Then I was sick for a month and have not been able to work on the machine. Yesterday, I cleaned the machine. I also took a piece of thread and ran it in the needle plate hole, held it tight and ran it around the inside, both directions, it was fine. Did the same on the hopping foot, it was fine. Then I felt for a burr on the bobbin race, whatever you call it, but it feels fine, I looked at it through a magnifying glass, and ran my fingernail around the edge. I don't think the bobbin is the problem. I also changed the needle. Today I went back to the machine, loaded a quilt sandwich of muslin I had used before and started stitching on a new section of fabric. I stitched my lines in several direction and worked with my tension a bit and when the stitches looked right, I moved to a different area and started to practice a swirl. My needle snapped right in the middle of the swirl, ripped the fabric, and scared the begeebers out of me. Any suggestions? I am planning to change the needle of course, and check my timing to make sure it is okay, then try it again. All I can think is that the needle slipped down, maybe I had not tightened the screw tight enough. That's all I can figure. 

Mary Beth:  Your needle was probably loose, causing your problems.  Do yourself a favor and get rid of the slotted screw that tensions the needle.  Buy yourself a socket headed one from Ray at Quilt Tech.  The allen head screw holds the wrench, and doesn't slip.  If you like, you can even rotate the needle bar so that the screw faces forward.  Making access and view even easier.  That's what I did years ago and have never regretted it.  Jim

Everything is up and running. Oh my gosh I love that machine. I put a new needle in, then prayed :) I started her up and away she goes. stitches are perfect, needle stayed put. I was having problems with my hands yesterday so I am sure I didn't not get the needle in good and the screw tightened. Thank you all for your help.

The needle clamp screw is the screw that you loosen/tighten to change needles.  If you don't get it tight when you are changing needles, it may loosen enough while you are quilting, to . . .  drop, break and screw up your timing.

beestitched

Here is a link to the screw Jim was talking about.  The idea being the Allen wrench will fit positively in the head and you won't slip like you can with the screwdriver.  Allen wrenches come in  a couple of different styles of handles and the L or T shapes may be better for those with arthritis.  At the very least we should all have a very good fitting screwdriver with a decent sized handle.

Nigel

https://quilttech.com/product/needle-bar-screw-for-apqs-hex-drive/

Archived