Millie arrives Friday, advice please

I took the plunge after chasing a dealer up and down the east coast and testing Gammill and APQS. I like the APQS better, every time I tried a Gammill it would drag or get caught on threads. The Gammill rep said to turn off the stitch regulator, never went back. Anyway, any advice on assembly, what thread to use (brand, spool/cone, etc). I'm really excited. I ordered the batting bar but have never seen one on the machine. I live in Virgina Beach, any APQS users in the area? My dealer is in the Washington DC area.

Thanks, Connie:cool:

Hi Connie--

Be sure to take your free beginner's class if you can. That will get you going in the right direction. You will get a cone of thread and some pre-wound bobbins with the machine. These will work beautifully on your machine as they are the ones the techs used to check your machine at the factory. Read, read , read as much of this chat forum as you can. Search for issues as they come up--there is a wealth of information here. When in doubt, post a question and also call the factory. Good luck! What fun you will have!

Linda Rech

Hi Connie,

Plan on having a really good time, but asking lots of questions and learning lots. Linda's right, ask lots of questions, read all you can. My machine came with everything I needed to get started, so I'm sure you'll be fine. I prefer superior threads, and have had wonderful use with everything from them.

Best of luck to you and your new baby.

Beth

Connie,

Congrats on your new Millie! I got my Liberty last fall and the people here are great. So don't be afraid to ask lots of questions .

I use Superior threads also - So Fine, Bottom Line and Rainbows. My machine loves them. I have both spools and cones, but if you are going to do a lot of quilting as a business, get the cones, its cheaper. Superior has a great website and I have called to order a few times, they are great.

As for assembly, My husband and I did it, and it was a piece of cake to put it all together. Again, if you get stuck, get on this forum and post a question. There are so many nice people here that will help especially if its after hours at APQS!

I also like to use prewound bobbins, you can also get them from Superior or from APQS.

Good luck and have fun.

Hi Connie! Congratulations on your new baby!

I put mine together, for the most part, by myself. The instructions are very good. It took me about three days because every once in a while, I had to walk away and think about the the instructions were telling me to do. It worked out just fine.

As for thread, I really like Superior Threads, So Fine! and Bottom Line. I purchase some King Tut at MQS this year and have played with that also.

You are going to have so much fun!

Hi Connie,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase. You will love it, I have a Millie, too. There is a bit of getting use to. You will think you have tension problems and sometimes you will want to pull your hair out...don't do it!! It will get better. Just seems like you need to get acquainted and then you will have a great relationship.

As others have said you will get everything you need to get started. Practice, practice, practice. I bought a bolt of muslin at JoAnn's when they do the 50% off or use my 40% off coupon. Start off using a poly thread, they don't break as easy and it will give you time to get use to the speed of the machine. Even a cotton covered poly is good. This is just what worked for me. Don't be afraid to adjust your tension, these machines are not like our domestics, they can take adjustments.

Mostly, have fun!!

Mary Beth

Hey Connie! Congrats on the Millennium! That's great that you've invested in an APQS long arm! Good for you! :D I promise to go over thread tensions with a myriad of threads during your free beginning class. I'll show you how to change threads, adjust and check top and bobbin tensions, and give you the address' for thread web sites. I'm able to quilt with cotton, poly, cotton/poly, rayon, metallic, monofiliment and heavy Jean stitch type thread successfully. We'll go over all of them. :) You will receive some thread in your start up kit from APQS. It's a great place to begin.

Have a super week!

Lisa Langlais

Authorized APQS Rep.

Springfield, VA 22153 (Wash. DC area.)

703-440-8157, Cell 703-967-2675

APQSQuilter@aol.com

Revel in each other's success, knowing full well there is enough to go around. ~~~Anonymous

Connie, I live in the Hampton area of Virginia, not too far from you. My Millie came about 10 days ago.

Please send me your email address. I do have some things to relay.

When do you plan to take your free training?

Did you get the hydraulic lifts?

I'm not doing too well. I wish over and over that I had paid the $500 for the pros to setup and install this thing. What's another $500 when you're spending nearly $20,000. None of the extras that the money could buy mean anything if the machine is not right.

My problems have not been the fault of APQS. It's just that there was some damage in shipment and therefore I don't know if the problems I'm having are related to that or not.

One box was punctured, a part had fallen out (was missing) and at least one part, maybe more was damaged. APQS is sending a new hydraulic lift and someone to look and listen to the machine. I can't get it to glide smoothly and it's making a funny noise.

I think I'm leary of it due to the shipping damage. I want a pro to tell me whether it's OK or not. Because I can't get it to move smoothly. It seems to be a bit jerky at times too.

Maybe it's all operator error. But I won't feel good about it until someone knowledgeable looks at it, listens to it, and test drives it.

Anyone thinking about a new machine take note: PAY FOR PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION. It's worth it.

It would have made my buying experience so much more pleasant. And I could have been up and running by now. Instead of waiting for someone to show up eventually.

HI Connie: congratulations on your millie. I have owned my millie for almost two years now and must say that set up was a breeze. The instructions were perfect and the manual very visual. The very first time that I used my machine I jambed the needle into the bobbin casing and that was that. I had to take apart the bobbin casing and reset the timing, and had a hard time removing the broken needle from the plastic casing. However,:) I did it and it ended up being the best thing that happened. I know the inside of the machine like crazy and realized that it really is hard to completely ruin the machine. Sometimes being naive is a blessing. My advice is not to let anything get you down because there is always a solution and the technicians are fantastic. Don't be afraid to ask for advice. They have heard and seen it all and nothing seems to boggle them. Good Luck and have fun.

Connie (Gator) Congrats on your new machine. I put mine together all by myself (wanted to) and DH helped me with the heavy stuff like setting on the rails and the rollers. It was easy - just read through everything a couple of times and take it slow.

Hi Teresa. Yes, I've had the machine up and running since early April. I've quilted a few quilts on it and having fun learning a new thing every time I play with it. So far no problems at all; it purrs right along. However, this latest quilt that I am doing for a friend, well, I've had trouble with tension and I think it is the batting (she gave me this really, really thin stuff that tears easily...yuck!) so I had to frog a little and I will experiment and play with a thicker batt to see if that's the issue. I tossed the thin stuff in the trash.

Yeah Connie,

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was raining on your parade.

You probably will have no problems getting your machine up and running. I probably wouldn't have had any problems either had it not been for the shipping damage.

I'm sure you will love your machine and have much fun with quilting.

Apparently many others have put their machines together with no problem. My situation is not the norm.

Hi Georgene. Ooops! I don't think I read your post about the shipping damage. I am sorry this happened to you! :( I am sure that you will be fixed up in no time. These machines are pretty sturdy, maybe just a few adjustments to the table (level?) and adjusting the wheels on the carriage and rails will help?

Anyway, hope all is well soon.

((hugs))

Gerogene,

I had problems too, that was before the new manual, I think it is better. At the time I was thinking the $500 would have been worth it too, but since then we have taken it apart and moved it to another part of the house twice! It was a breeze. I feel for ya, I know how it feels. It will get better, youu'll see. There must be another APQS owner in your area that could take a look at your machine to make sure it is okay.

Superior is my favorite thread too. I use Bottom Line in the bobbin with everything, and my favorite top thread is PolyQuilter and the variegateds are soooo delicious!!

Georgene, hang in there!!! I know my DH and I couldn't have put the machine together ourselves...we're both so UN-handy. We'll probably be moving to a condo when I retire and I'll gladly pay for the dealer to move it for me then too. Once the experts give you the go-ahead I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!!!

Thanks Lynne.

Someone may be able to come next week, and maybe I'll even be able to get my first training then too, which would be most beneficial since I'm 3.5 hours away from the nearest dealer.

Alcoe,

How did you know the timing was off....maybe that's what's wrong with mine??????

My Millie arrived 2 1/2 weeks ago. My son-in-law came over to help me with it. As we started it seemed a little intimidating and he said that he would pay for someone to put it together. He did stay and we got everything done but the top bars in less than four hours. My husband was getting in my way the next night, I asked him to stay at one end of the bars and he kept moving to where I needed to be. I finally asked him to go in the other room and promised to get him when I needed his help.

I had to wait quite awhile for the hydraulic lifts but I'm glad that I have them. I have a lot to learn but it's fun.

Oops Shana, I read your post a few days ago....and forgot to respond, I'm so sorry.

We took the legs off one end and slid the machine head off the table. Then took the other legs off, removed the lexon (is that right plexi-glass stuff) and I think we left the back part together that it lays on. I know we had a dickens of a time getting it down the stairway - there is a bend :) I was trying to be positive as we nicked the wall, can't tell you about the DH's attitude at that point - lets just say he doesn't like nicks in the wall. Everything came apart and went back together very easy. They are really a breeze to move.

Can I just say that when we put it together the first time it was not pretty....My DH also said that he would pay a million dollars not to put that thing together. But, after the first time, it is too easy now. Save your $500 or whatever it is, and do it yourself, then you can use that money to go toward toys!!

Archived