Favorite Domestic Sewing Machine

In 1978 I purchased a Pfaff 122E...LOVE IT! It was the first model with IDT. I sewed a ton with "Sweetheart" and she still looks in almost new condition! However, I stopped using her four or five years ago just because my newer machines have more presser feet options. Also, she is picky...needs the same thread weight in the bobbin as is used in the top. If I mixed threads it wasn't a guarantee that she'd stitch very well. I'm keeping her for grandchildren to learn on!

In 1995 I purchased a Pfaff 7570...she's a real gem! This machine fits nicely into rolling cases for transporting to classes and sewing events.:P I have a terrific sales person/ educator who has shown me (and sold to me) a lot of accessorie, specialty feet that that make sewing some projects a lot easier. Dawn's about 45 miles away...and well worth the trip! The only real negative is that "Phaffie" can't seem to wind a decent bobbin using regular sewing thread...forget specialty threads.

I thought about upgrading to a 2000 series Pfaff back in 2002, but there seemed to be a lot of ongoing issues that needed to be ironed out when initially introduced to the home market place.

Instead, I purchased a BROTHER PACESETTER ULT2002D close-out in January, 2003. WOW! The price actually scared me off a little bit....thousands less than I had been prepared to pay for a top of the line Pfaff. I thought about this purchase for three months before committing to a purchase. But, this machine has on-board tutorial videos!:D After purchase, I found out that it beautifully winds bobbins for both itself and also my Pfaff 7570! It threads easily...the needle threader it really slick! I adore that it cuts threads with a push of a button and NEVER has needed to be rethreaded because the thread length was cut wrong.;) She also accepts upgrades via floppy discs. But, "My Bro" is too bulky to transport in a store bought rolling case, and I really do prefer Pfaff's IDT to my Brother's bulky walking foot attachment.

:DI like all three of my DSM for different reasons, but my Brother ULT2002D would definately be a super choice for a beginner++ or occasional sewer because it's built-in videos are like "machine sewing for dummies".:) Also...she stitches well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brother all the way! I love my 1500 work horse that is a semi-industrial and

I am use the same prewound bobbins and cones that I use on my LA.

I do all of my pieceing on this machine.

I also have the Brother ULT2002 or 3.. embroidery machine. I like to digitize

my own desings, just don't have enough time to do it all!:D:)

I have a Janome Professional 6600 that I use for piecing and doing bindings. I swear that machine can sew a straight line without even being guided! I upgraded last Fall from the Janome Professional 6500 (DH doesn't know, oh wait, he doesn't know that I bought the 6500 either. Oops!). I loved it, but when they introduced the differential feed on the Janome I had to have it. I had a Pfaff from about 1990 with differential feed, but gave it to my daughter. There is a Viking from the '80s and a Kenmore from 2000 sitting in my closet. My Babylock Elageo is used for machine embroidery, when I have the time. I also have my grandmother's Featherweight, which I don't think has ever been used, since she didn't sew. It is from 1962. I also have a Singer Touch 'n Sew that I bought for chain stitching, but can't get that to work. It sets on top of an antique Singer cabinet with a Singer machine from 1915.

There is another Janome under my sewing cabinet that is for my youngest daughter if she ever finds room at her apt. for it. It is the smallest Janome that they make, costs about $80.00. I offered her my Viking or my Kenmore, but she is afraid that they would be too complicated for her. Its still in the box.

With all those machines, you would think that I wouldn't dream of buying another one, but if I could find an Elna Lotus from the early 1970s I'd buy it. I sewed on one during a tailoring class that I took in college and loved it. I've wanted one ever since.

I have an old Bernina 1230 and a 930. At Paducah this year, my friend was buying a Baby Lock Decorator's Choice. The other friend with us already had one so I said . . heck, I might as well get one too so that's my newest machine and the one I have set up right now.

I love my old Berninas and not sure I'll ever love the Baby Lock as much but we'll see.

I bought my Bernina 930 twenty years ago. It's never had a problem! I've taken it in for routine maintenance only. The serviceman told me that Berninas have fewer problems than any other.

Two of my sisters bought a Bernina about the same time I did--one a 930 identical to mine and the other a 931. All of us are sold. The sister with the 930 recently bought a Bernina 440, but she couldn't part with her old friend. Right now, Mom is sewing on it.

I've got back every dime's worth I spent on my Bernina!

I had a Kenmore that weighed a ton but sewed the most beautiful stitches. Then I got a Janome 4014, pretty basic, much lighter than the Kenmore but it is a little workhorse! I love it. I wish it had needle up needle down but other than that it is wonderful. I still have it and use it the most but I also have a Janome Memorycraft 6500 with all the bells and whistles. I still like my 4014 when i feel like sewing...hehe;) , Janey530

Archived