I'm not a big fan of variegated thread, but when I use it, I use Fantastico or Twist from Superior.  You'll find a good number of Longarmers who do not like to use King Tut because it can be problematic.  Your problems were probably more King Tut related than variegated.  Jim

I use KingTut in my Lenni and only have minimal issues.  It is slower going than the poly threads and I have to match the bottom and top threads or I have tension issues.  I've used it exclusively for years in my short-arm (Janome) and never had a problem but Lenni is a tad more fussy - I make the effort for it to work as I have a lot of it on hand still and the colors are great.

Sometimes I can get it to work and other times I'm pulling my hair out!  I'm using it up on charity quilts because I can use it in the bobbin, too.  But with the L bobbin it runs out in no time.  At least I'm getting rid of it.  I do love the look of it, though.

I just used King Tut variegated for the first time (I've only quilted a half dozen quilts so far, so I guess that is not saying much.) and had no problems at all.

I'm on a 1997  Ultimate II, no bells, whistles or hopping foot if that information makes a difference. As far as I know, any problems I have had so far have not been thread related, other than some poorly would bobbins.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:44 PM, City Chick Quilts said:

I am having issues using this King Tut variegated thread.  What to do?  Too late to change thread or unsew!

What size needle do you use? Try upping to a 4.5 needle and thread through two of the tensioner holes above the spring. Adjust tension knob accordingly. See how that works. Good luck. 

Archived