I made this butterfly quilt as a donation for a local retirement home, and we presented it to their activity coordinator yesterday. When someone at the home passes away, their bed will be draped with this quilt for a dignified exit under a field of butterflies. I found that a very touching idea, and when they contacted the local quilt guild in their search for a butterfly quilt, I decided to make one for them. I am quite happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_4431.jpg

Rainbow Butterflies Block 1 small.jpg

Rainbow Butterflies Block 2 small.jpg

Rainbow Butterflies Butterfly Border small.jpg

Rainbow Butterflies Back small.jpg

I can't imagine what nursing / assisted living home residents think of when they see the "empty bed"?  What a wonderful idea to use a beautiful quilt to assist everyone with the loss of a friend or family member.  I wonder if other homes have something like this?   Beatrice the quilt is beautiful, love the colors and quilting.  I know it was a labor of love for you.

21 hours ago, Gator said:

I wonder if other homes have something like this?

Connie, we were wondering the same... there is a tentative idea out there to make this a guild project for next year and supply other local facilities with quilts for this purpose, if they want one. I had a few guild members offer their help for this quilt but I wanted to get it done before the end of the guild year, and there just wasn't enough time to organize a group effort. But hopefully in September!