Ughh - help please - stain - update

I finally did it, I swore I'd never, but it happened. :(  I thought I picked up the air erase pen but I actually picked up the gel pen that is the same color.  I now have a horrible mark on a customers quilt.  I need suggestions on what to use to get this out.  I've used Sew Clean so far and it's taken some of it out but not all the way gone.  Thank you

Thank you for the suggestions.  I tried Sew Clean but it was only working sort of.  So I tried the Dawn dish soap and it didn't do anything.  So  I tried the rubbing alcohol and that didn't do anything.  I was heading to the store and googled "how to get gel pen out of fabric" (I really didn't want to go to the store) and it said to mix equal parts rubbing alcohol and vinegar and apply to stain, leave for minimum of 5 minutes, then apply table salt and let set for 5 or more minutes.  Then using old toothbrush scrub stained area.  If it doesn't all come out repeat.  It was almost all out so long story short I had to do the process a total of 3 times and the stain is gone.  :) What a relief. 

I googled and there are solutions out there, but thinking you are going to have to choose depending on what color the fabric is.  One place said that gel ink is concentrated so may take multiple treatments.  Hope you get this out. "(

Carbona Stain Devils formula for ink removal got gel pen out of a vintage top in the same situation. It was my item so I advanced through all the usual remedies and this one worked. Apply, back with a paper towel, and pat it with your finger to push it through the fabric. Repeat. It works best if it's just the fabric and not the batting and backer as well. It will need to be washed when you finish because it does have a solvent residual smell. It can be found on the laundry aisle in a rack of little yellow bottles and Joanns used to carry the line as well. Good luck!

Thank you all.  I'll be trying this as soon as I finish quilting.  I was  in the middle of quilting this quilt and will treat when I can pull it off the frame and work with it.  I'll let everyone know how it went.  It's on a cream color fabric.

Ugh!  SO glad you got that pen mark out of the quilt! 

The way I avoid this (for over 10 years now) is I keep all of my marking pens/pencils/chalks in one drawer and I keep all of my indelible pens in a separate drawer. That way I have to think twice before I open a drawer to use a pen. LOL! 

Another method is to wrap all your permanent/indelible pens/markers with bright red or yellow tap.  That way your eye immediately is drawn to the hazard of using this anywhere near fabric.  Now to cross my fingers I never make this common mistake.

Cagey

Connie, 

I can feel your pain!  I had this happen with a marking pen I couldn't get out.  Worked on it for a week before I got it all out.  I didn't dare wash the quilt as it had maroon fabric and white fabric and not sure if color safe. 

After that I keep a cup to hold my markers that I use on the quilts and it is kept on my long arm bed.  No other pens are allowed in that area.

Connie,

Can you please post what you actually ended up using and how you did it?

I am so glad that you were able to get the ink out especially on cream color.  I was very fortunate a while back too.  The Hairspray trick worked for me, so I know the relief your feeling :) 

Thank you for the post, everyone is so much help on this site :)

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, connieb said:

I finally did it, I swore I'd never, but it happened. :(  I thought I picked up the air erase pen but I actually picked up the gel pen that is the same color.  I now have a horrible mark on a customers quilt.  I need suggestions on what to use to get this out.  I've used Sew Clean so far and it's taken some of it out but not all the way gone.  Thank you

Thank you for the suggestions.  I tried Sew Clean but it was only working sort of.  So I tried the Dawn dish soap and it didn't do anything.  So  I tried the rubbing alcohol and that didn't do anything.  I was heading to the store and googled "how to get gel pen out of fabric" (I really didn't want to go to the store) and it said to mix equal parts rubbing alcohol and vinegar and apply to stain, leave for minimum of 5 minutes, then apply table salt and let set for 5 or more minutes.  Then using old toothbrush scrub stained area.  If it doesn't all come out repeat.  It was almost all out so long story short I had to do the process a total of 3 times and the stain is gone.  :) What a relief. 

S

10 hours ago, RosemaryJ08 said:

Connie,

Can you please post what you actually ended up using and how you did it?

I am so glad that you were able to get the ink out especially on cream color.  I was very fortunate a while back too.  The Hairspray trick worked for me, so I know the relief your feeling :) 

Thank you for the post, everyone is so much help on this site :)

What an awful feeling when that happens.  I spritzed a customer quilt once to get the  purple air erase pen out faster...it was one of those Crabapple Hill color and embroider quilts and the micro pen she used to trace the pattern under the embroidery started running....it was awful and filled the whole block actually 3 blocks up with purple run ink.  It included the batting and the backing as well.  I sent her a picture so she knew what was happening and ended up unsewing the quilting and then removed the blocks from the quilt and soaked them in synthropol which removed the ink, also soaked the backing and replaced the section of batting....I then had to applique the blocks back together and re quilted them and it was "as if it never even happened" ...we were both so glad and fortunately she was ok with it, I gave her a good discount and she was happy with her quilt.  She has sent me another sent then so I know it was all forgiven....but I sure did not make much on that one after all the time it took me to fix the ink run....lesson learned....I will never ever put any liquid on another customer quilt again...you never know what may run...even a permanent ink micro pen.....that was heat set.....

Archived