Top Thread still breaking

I posted this under a different thread but think this one gets more traffic so.............

I had originally posted about this problem here:

I thought this problem had worked itself out but apparently not. I was diligent about checking the quilts for awhile and seemed like all was well. Earlier last week I finished hand sewing the binding on one and as I was putting on the label I noticed a tiny thread nest. I scraped it with my fingernail and...oh $%#@ It happened again. I found three places fairly close together on this quilt. Needless to say I am now paranoid and plan to get out the last three or so I have done to thoroughly check them. (I did check them and found more instances. At least one occurence on each quilt) If there is a "ghost" thread connecting it (which is the only logical answer) then it is so thin that the moment you touch the area it breaks. I use different colored threads all the time. I have changed my needle more than once. I am still a new enough owner that I haven't gotten lazy about maintenance ;) so I know it's clean. These breaks seem to happen in a relatively small area, so it seems like the thread frays, starts to break and catches several times before getting to a good place on the thread and no more problems.  Since I do not see this when it happens I have no idea whether I am traveling right to left or left to right or going around in a circle! I was so happy about the quality of the quilting but now I am totally unsure and hope I found all the bad spots. Many of these will be donated and I hate the thought of them not holding up in the laundry or with just general use. :unsure: To say I am paranoid is an understatement. Not sure where to start looking to correct this problem. It's so odd that it is not a constant problem, just a very occasional one. ?????

(Looking at a scrap quilt folded on the shelf. It has a black back quilted with black bobbin thread. Hope the quilt angels watched out for that one cause I can't even see the stitching , much less if it skipped a stitch or two. :blink:)

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to have the dealer take a look at it? Does it need servicing of some kind? At the moment I feel like I sold my old problems only to spend a lot of money for  new problems. I'm really bummed.

Mary:  Check the gap between the black "finger" that secures the bobbin basket, and the basket assembly.  It should be as wide as possible with just enough contact to keep the basket from rotating.  Also check the "finger" for burrs.  If the thread catches on the "finger" it will fray or break.  If everything looks OK there, check your timing.  The hook should just "kiss" the needle, and the hook should reach the needle in about the center of the scarf.  Good luck.  Jim

Haven't fixed my issue yet  - but my job is kind of intense and I don't always get a lot of time to work on these things. I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to put into use some of the advice given here and on my "thread" - (Linked so you can see the advice offered there, in case it helps you!)

Archived