Do you quilt off of the edges of the quilt top?

If so, do you do that while doing free motion? Or while using your computerized system? Do you use pins to secure the edges or a basting stitch? I just got my computerized system working and my clients like quilting close to the edges or quilting OFF THE EDGES so that binding is easier to attach. What is the best way to do this that will keep me from ripping stitches when the hopping foot catches the edge of the quilt? Thanks, Denise 

Denise

If you can baste less than an eighth of an inch from the edge you will have almost no problems with the edge flipping over when the hopping foot comes back onto the quilt.  If you are using IQ you could reset the clip on each row as you get to it so you finish right at the edge.  I'm sure there are other methods as well.

Nigel

I baste the edges about 1/8" from the edge.  I used to use a basting stitch, but if the customer is going to be sewing on the binding, rather than rolling over the backing, I just use a regulated stitch and let it go.  Nice smooth edges and you'll never see the basting stitches once the binding is added anyway.  Sometimes I'll even do a little wiggle stitch on the edges.  If the customer is going to roll the backing over for the binding, I never sew off the edge of the quilt because it would show on the rolled edge.  For these quilts, I use long basting stitches about 1/8" away from the edge and then quilt within 5/8" from the edge of the quilt.  I love setting the IQ to clip the designs so they fit well within my parameters.  : )

1/8 the an inch.  Nah!!!!   As close to the edge as I can, almost off with a regular stitch.  This way there will be no over lapping when the pressed foot comes back over the edge. I hate that.  It takes a little practice, but once you learn it, it's cake mon.   Zeke

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Zeke and Lora for the tip on basting your quilt with wiggly Lines, it has helped me tremendously. Another good tip I use came from Dawn Cavanaugh regarding how to make sure your quilt top is lined up straight. I use my channel locks and stitch a straight line across the top basting the batting and backing. Once complete, I line my quilt top up with that line before basting it down. I'm a self taught quilter and, I've learned so much from this forum, and I'm truly thankful for all the advice. 

Happy Quilting

KP, it's not really a wiggle stitch.  It's a straight stitch as close to the edge as I can get.  I've never done a wiggle stitch, but it does sound interesting.  I have an UI and I set my speed at 3.  Not too slow and not too fast.  Just right for the purpose.   Zeke.  

I do the "wiggle" stitch on the edges of my quilts.  I don't have a pic at this time but basically it's a long leisurely sewn zig zag.  When I make my "wiggle" I use the longest stich setting on my Millie.  You don't want the stitches tight in case you want to pull them out before binding.   My edges never flip over on me.  I float all my quilts and use the method mentioned to line the top up straight, "so to make sure your quilt top is lined up straight,  I use my channel locks and stitch a straight line across the top basting the batting and backing. Once complete, I line my quilt top up with that line before basting it down". 

Archived