North Carolina humidity

Not that we've been here for about six months I was wondering if any of the Longarmers here have any trouble with their machines and the humidity.  I'm used to California weather and it's a dry hot heat and I was always in the garage quilting.  Do any of the quilters here have their longarm sin their garages or do you quilt indoors.  We're now in a house and I might be back in the garage due to space issues.  What are your thoughts.

We had the machine in the apartment for six months and had no issues even with the windows open most of the time.   Zeke. 

My machine is in the basement, so there are changes in temperature and humidity down there. The tension spring is susceptible to changes with either of those factors. This is especially true for me in the winter when the room starts out cold and warms up as my heater takes effect. On those days I test the tension first thing, then check with the scratch test as the room warms up. Sometimes I have to make a small adjustment. On days when the room is about the same as the day before, I will do the scratch test at least with every bobbin.

So, bottom line, check the tension.

Zeke....I'm in the Houston area and we have lots of humidity here all the time.  I quilt in my garage....I did insulate it really good including the double garage doors and have had no problems with any of my machines.  (so far anyway)

Good luck with it.

Thank you Sharon and Misa.  Though my garage doors aren't insulated I think it will do just fine.  Thanks again for the input.  I thought it might be a tad different here in the southeast compared the the west.   I'll just have to relearn with the humidity.   Zeke.  

Zeke, I lived in VA Beach for 30 years.  I had my Millie there for 5 or more years.  I did run a dehumidifier in the summer and if my house got to dry in the winter (electric heat) I would run a humidifier.  Because all houses are different (insulation/AC/heat, etc) I would recommend getting a humidity monitor.  A lot of thermometers come with them.  I have a clock in my studio that has a thermometer and humidity monitor on it.  It was fairly inexpensive.   Just watch the readings for awhile and determine if you need a dehumidifier/humidifier.  I maintain my humidity around 50.  I have lung issues and maintaining the humidity helps me health wise too. 

I live in Missouri. We have temps in the upper 80s or 90s, but he feel like temp is 110 because of humidity. I know we are not as bad as the south, but bad enough. I would not be able to work in my garage, it is about a billion degrees in there. I only go out there on a need to basis only. My machine is set up in my basement, and like Gator, I have a dehumidifier. I don't worry about winters because the basement really doesn't need moisture in the air.

Like Mary Beth, my machine is set up in my basement where it is the coolest in the house...I walkout french doors and windows so it isn't as dark as it could be...humidity isn't a problem for me as I keep the ac on...but during the winter I have to watch which shoes I wear to avoid static electricity.

Zeke;

If your garage is not air conditioned, you probably will notice some rust/corrosion over time on metal items.  Also, unlike CA in NC I would hazard to guess the sweat from your hands will cause some issues for your handles or metal surfaces you touch.  Growing up in SC and now living in FL, I know that metal items will start to rust and show wear even sitting on the shelf.  If you have the garage door open in the evening or early morning the humidity settles on the items.  Then is dries/starts working its rust magic during the day.  You will have to polish or oil your items in the garage to keep them looking good.  I'm not sure how the humidity will affect your quilt sandwich/fabric if it sits in the frame between quilting sessions.  I don't know of anyone that quilts in a non-ACed area.  You are going to be one hot individual quilting in an open air garage in July or August in NC.  If you are going to try that, best of luck and remember to rink plenty of water .

Cagey

PS:  You could buy your family a generator now for hurricanes and other times you will lose electrical power along with a window AC unit the said generator will run.  That way you can have a cool garage, plus an area to hangout in or sleep in come the time you need it after a hurricane event.  Though cooling off the garage and then allow it to warm up again is going to allow the metal items to sweat, allowing moisture to form, and rust/corrosion to start.  I am not sure what it will do with the electronics in your machines.  

I'm an NC garage quilter!  I had my garage doors insulated a couple of years ago and it has made a huge difference in being comfortable in the heat and cold.  Now that the doors are insulated, I will leave the door to the main house open while I'm quilting so I can get a little heat or A/C in there.

I mentioned to Angela Clark that my needle up/down speed would be terribly slow some days and regular speed on others, and it didn't really seem to be related to the temperature.  She said that the humidity was the culprit, and that does seem to be the case.  It takes longer for the needle up/down to get up to speed as the machine warms up when it is really humid outside.  

Carol

Thanks for the advice Carol.  We shall see what happens when I get everything set up.  I just might step down to a 10' table from a 14'.  I'm going to have to reconfigure my carriage or the new table first.  I have my brain working already on this one.  I did something like this 15 years ago with another machine maker and it worked out for the better.  Keep your fingers crossed.  Zeke.  

Hi Zeke, I live in WI., I have my long arm in the basement and it can be very humid there.  I do use a ton of DampRid around my machines.  It works for me.  Beside that I use the Sewer's aid on my thread.  I hardly have any problems.

I know you enjoy your CQ a lot.  My question is, have you ever had a problem with it?  I acquired one second hand but I am having problems getting it to work for me.  CQ is installed on a  2005 Millie.  I still have my Lenni since  I am hesitant to give it up.  At this time an IQ or QPath is unattainable.  

Any help from anyone who has or had a CQ is welcome and appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't know that I needed CQ support.  And I'm not upgrading to the IQ just yet.  Maybe later, I don't know.  How did the humidity of the Carolinas go to support for the CQ.  Strange.  And I thought I was pretty damn good at figuring out most CQ,s, and IQ,s.  I once had a gal in California call me the CQ guru, because every time she had a problem I could fix it without much effort.  Still can.  Anyhoo, gotta go, me pillow is calling me.  Zeke. 

Vicki, wow that's a lot of moving!  Michigan is a little bit of a drive but I'm thinking about selling my Millie and getting a Millie 30.  I've never sold a machine and I've never had a lot of luck but might just try.  I don't have room for two machines.

On 7/20/2017 at 6:05 AM, Gator said:

Winter static from dry air is the reason I use a humidifier in the winter.  I hate getting zapped!!!  I need it for my respiratory system too.

There is an inexpensive floor spray called Staticide.  It's available on Amazon. Mike, APQS Engineer, said they have been testing it. It leaves no visible residue and it lasts quite a while. I'll definitely be trying some this winter!

Archived