Longarmers and Shop Relationships

As many have seen me state I have had a great relationship with my local Shops. One is my Dealer and the other is a Fabric shop and dealer. The fabric shop has many clubs and not only pays me well to quilt for them but include me with alot of the things. I'm kinda family you might say. I enjoy all the ladies that work there and well we just all get along so well. As a matter of fact I enjoy all the ladies in both shops. I find it interesting that the shop that I have never bought a machine at is so generous and the one I have purchased 5 machines from just brushes me aside or I feel that way anyway.

We have our Local Shop Hop coming up and last year I did the shop hop quilt for my dealer gladly and it was a big hit. I recieved a letter "that they just didn't know when they'd get it done and sorta brushed me off on my last visit in the shop. I have already done the Shop Hop quilt for the fabric store. I'm ok with this but I really thought I could maintain a professional base with all the shops. Today the fabric shop owner infomed me that she would like me to share her space at the Quilt Show in Jan and she booked two extra boothes and one was for me. I was flattered and well taken by the gesture and I said YES. I think it was very kind. Would you take them up on it also? Is this a comfict of interest and I just don't see it. Guess I'm to close to the competition but it quilting for heaven sake.

Guess I wish I could make everyone happy as I think so much of them all.

What a great offer! I try to maintain relationships with our shops, but honestly I'm busy quilting and not so much shopping. I just can't afford to shop every quilt shop in hopes that I will "make" a new friend.

Most of the time, they are very polite when I'm in the store, but they already have a favorite quilter. "Oh, Sue has a 6 month wait!!!" Well that's great for Sue but how about recommending another quilter so your customers won't have to wait 9 months for Sue to finish her backlog????

I've been quilting fast and furious, so now I see the light at the end of the tunnel (about 2 weeks from now). Mailing my guild, and calling the stores hasn't made a bit of difference. So I'm planning on learning some new tricks on my downtime, and finishing some of my own.

I'm also advertising locally, so I'm hoping people will recognize my ad and call. I've stated "Quilts starting at $200" to keep the tire kickers at bay....

Cynthia

Hi, Grammie!

First off, I have to say something: You are such a sweet heart! Always so kind and thoughtful of everyone.

To answer your question about being a conflict of interest, well I have to agree with you that NO it is not. Just because you bought five machines from a Dealer/Quilt shop and have quilted for them in the past, I don't think there is any reason you should have to favor one shop over the other, or vice versa. If you ask me, I say GOOD FOR YOU and absolutely take up any offer from the other quilt shop on the booth at the quilt show. Go for it! It's simple: they asked you, and you said yes. Opportunity knocked and you answered the door. Great! Go and have fun and make the best of that opportunity. You could be up front and tell the Dealer/Shop that you will be in a booth near the "dreaded competition" shop LOL! but that doesn't mean you favor one place over the other. Heck, I fill my gas tank at many different stations. Texaco shouldn't get mad if I tanked up there last week and then went to the Chevron station this week.

OK, I have to add my own personal perspective: We have a few quilt shops in my area, and I don't favor one over the other. I spend my hard earned $$$ equally in all of them. I am an equal opportunity quilt shop customer. Just because I bought my Bernina sewing machine from one shop doesn't mean I can't spend my $$ at the other quilt shop (a Pfaff dealer), too. It's a free country, I say. I love having the quilting choices available to me in my little town in the way up north country.

I think you can continue to have a professional base with all of the shops. Why not? Here's a thought for you: Perhaps rather than waiting for the Dealer/shop to contact you about something, perhaps you could be proactive and give them an idea or a couple of ideas about a "special event" or "sales promotion" to choose from and then propose a longarm quilting offer to them that only requires a "yes or no" answer. If you do that then you are showing you are still interested in doing business with the other shop, too....you just have to be more aggressive or initiate the action. Isn't it interesting how people's personalities and the culture of their shops differ so?

It's always the best to remain in good standing with those in the industry. I try hard not to ever burn a bridge whether at my employer (I work in the oil industry) or even with quilting; especially for me, it's a way to small of a place up here to get a bad reputation. You know the saying: "Be careful of the toes you step on today......" ;)

Grammie Tammie you sweetheart--

Let's see----you bought 5 machines from a shop and they treat you off-handedly? And another shop treats you like family and are hosting you at a quilt show? Hmmmm. I chose the second group!!!(wink)

Linda

Go where you are welcome Tammie! I don't see a conflict here. You aren't selling fabric OR machines and you are in business just like they are. Who you quilt for is your business. If they want to turn you away for any reason other than a lack of skill or ability in your work then you really can't stop them from cutting off their collective noses to spite their faces. I don't believe that you would ever behave in a similar manner toward them and your services are not exclusive to one shop or group. You do work for them as they hire you on a per quilt basis, you are not their employee. So just continue to be your own sweet self, don't get your feelings hurt, go with the "success flow", and do not let anyone try to control or manipulate how or where, or with whom you do business. Let them work out their own issues, who knows, when they finally pull their heads out and realize they want you to handle their quilts because of the quality & popularity of your work you may be booked 6-9 months out with all the ones that jumped in early!! They'll never be able to say anything ugly about the way you've treated them, after all, you bought 5 michines from them!!

I was staying busy with my longarm ,bought a new one moved to eastern NC , and guess what all the quilt shops have there own longarm!

I was told there was a longer wait here what a joke!

Love+prayers Annette

God Is like .... DIAL SOAP

Aren't you glad you have Him. Don't you

wish everybody did.

aatsmith@earthlink.net

http://community.webshots.com/user/annetteinnc

http://quiltingembroiderybyannette.blogspot.com/

Grammie~

I know the shops that you are speaking of. I am completely astonished and aggarvated that you are being treated in that manner. On the other hand, YEAH!!!!!! for the booth space. I know that you will knock their socks off! LOVE YOU. CONGRATS! YOU DESERVE ONLY THE BEST! did i mention that i love ya!

oh my heck i just spell checked my writing and i am so frustrated with how you have been treated that i misspelled every other word!:cool:

Grammie,

I am with Linda and Kenna! They both just about summed it up. You are far too talented and good hearted to put up with that. If they don't want your business any more or anything to do with you, I am sure in the future there are other dealers that would love your business when you purchase your sixth longarm!! :D

Grammie, good for you on your new adventure what a wonderful opportunity!!!

Kick the dust off of your feet of the shop, you have done all you can do and so now shame on them and their loss is going to be huge not having you do their quilting.

We can hardly wait to hear all about the show and all that transpires there.

Grammie,

I just have to add more to what I said earlier.

You stated that: "As a matter of fact I enjoy all the ladies in both shops. I find it interesting that the shop that I have never bought a machine at is so generous and the one I have purchased 5 machines from just brushes me aside or I feel that way anyway."

With emphasis on the word "feel" you have written above: There might be a difference between what you feel and what they think. Right? So, that said, rather than going on assumptions (your feelings) that they have a problem (e.g. you feel they are brushing you off) perhaps you should find the right time to have a discussion with the owner of the shop. Ask clearly if what you "feel" is really true. You are a successful business woman, and you know that good, happy, productive business relationships are very important -- with everyone. There isn't room to burn bridges or have ill feelings or create ill feelings. Not as a business. So, if you want to maintain a good healthy productive business relationship with the shop where you "feel" you are getting brushed off, perhaps you should try to find out if what you feel and what they are doing (brushing off) are one in the same. It might not be. You might be assuming incorrectly or they might not realize they are giving you the brush off. It's quite possible there isn't a problem at all, and that a conversation is all that's needed to clear the air and make it all better again.

....just some food for thought.... :)

Go Grammie Go, you double-fistin' quiltin' maniac!!!!

Tammie-

Having met you and seen your amazing talent all I can say is that you HAVE to do this booth. You have a terrific, genuine personality that combined with your creative side means only great things will come from this venture. Do not take to heart the attitude of a few. They will either come around to seeing how beneficial it will be for THEM to be associated with you or they will regret their decision down the road.

Go for it, girl!

Your-

Sheri from Hershey

I so agree with all above - you just go to that booth - set-up your stuff and

have a great time! You are sure to be a hit - just guessing from all of your

positive energy and awesome quilting I have seen here!!:D;)

I have a great relationship with one of my LQS - I spent ALL day there

today!! My car was in a shop getting a bunch of stuff done - and I took my

machine with me and a project and used their table and iron. I called first

and they were more than happy to have me! I also had 2 quilts I had to

drop-off there for customers.

These people are just so SUPER nice! I purchased prizes for the winners of

our quilt show "viewers choice" (I was a co-chair of the show). For some

stupid reason the guild did not want to pay for prizes..... but they did 2 yrs

ago at the last show! Anyhow - this shop owner let me purchase all of the

stuff at her cost! How great was that!! She also thought that this was the

right thing to do - - the other co-chair has just disappeared - - no help at

all there!!