Looking for ideas Update finished pic.

Try googling the name of the pattern and see if anyone posted the finished quilted quilt.  I like to get ideas that way. Without seeing what someone else has done, I'd quilt a feather wreath in the squares and in the rectangles.  Then I'd just cc the little sashing blocks.  If you want to spend more time, try putting plastic over the quilt and drawing lines to divide the areas.  You may come up with a cute design that way.

Bonnie;

Just my two cents worth, but this is what I think you do.  

I believe the pieced stars are the item of the quilt that pops.  Thus you need to make them stand out with their sharp edges.  I say SID around them.  Then something with sharp lines that I cannot find online to give you an example of.  I believe when you first look at the quilt top that is what shows to me.  You want to accentuate that design so it pops.  Your eyes will only come to the secondary layer of quilting upon closer examination.

While I like your feathered heart, I believe you need something that fills the entire square.  Thus, I like Libby's idea of a feathered wreath.  I cannot find a video of Claudia Pfeil's showing how to fill areas with feathers.  Her (P)fun - (P)feiling - (P)feathers is a great video training DVD.  But here is one I found on youtube, just leave the flower out of the designhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xdQHBW1m1w  Here is another one in the first part of the video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny68XiigGX8  Re-veiwing your design, I say you fill the entire square, not just the smaller square you have the heart in.  Maybe SID around the large square, then come in only 1/8 of an inch and frame the block.  Does this so you end up with 3 lines to again from the block like a double matting on a picture frame.  Then fill with what I can only call a square feather wreath.

I like your design in the rectangles between the stars.  Though I say you fill them with another swirl of two.  The inside looks a little empty.  

Again just my opinion, they will get you nothing on the economy.  I like your design, and am sure it will come out looking wonderful when it is finished.  Please let us see it when it is done.

Cagey

Bonnie;

Here is another possibility for the star block;  http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/2016/12/12/machine-quilting-star-blocks/

Being a light uniform color, the quilting would show with both contrasting and somewhat blending thread.  You can also checkout Angela's "Shape by Shape" book to get other ideas. 

I like how your second design overlays some quilting aspects.  Some of the ideas the Cindy Needham promotes and encourages.  Both of their websites/YouTube links have lots of examples.  In the end, I am sure it will look lovely.

Cagey

Archived