Quilt Path vs. Intelliquilter

Crazyqltr

I just got my Lenni about 8 months ago and am loving it. I am considering adding either Quilt Path or Intelliquilter but don't know much about either, and which one might be better with my machine.  Do any of you use either one of these, and what would be the advantages/disadvantages of one vs. the other. Its a big investment & I don't want to make a mistake. I do a little quilting for others but it will be mostly be used for my own personal use. I'm looking for something that does more than pantographs. One concern I have is the additional weight that will be added to the machine, as I still plan on doing hand guided and custom work. One of the reasons I chose a Lenni was because it was so light & easy to move. I have quite a bit of arthritis so I don't want to add a lot of weight or drag to the machine.

Carol

Thousand Oaks, CA

Do your homework. See if you can watch someone work on the two programs. I'm sorry to say I am very disappointed in the fact the "promised" updates to Quilt Path have yet to be received after two years of waiting.  I love my Quilt Path but would like it to do the things that the update is suppose to do that IQ does.  

I have used/owned 3 different systems on my Millie- the CompuQuilter, which is no longer made; the QuiltPath; and the IQ. I would definitely recommend the IQ. For me it is a better fit than the QuiltPath as the IQ "thinks" more like I do. I had nothing but problems with the QuiltPath as it was very slow and could not do everything I wanted it to do. Some people are creating absolutely stunning quilts using their QuiltPath systems, but I was not one of them. I fought with it!

Check out both systems, try them out, see how they work before you make your purchase. My purchase of the QuiltPath was a very costly mistake for me. There are lots of IQ users in CA and I'm sure you can locate someone to let you try it out. There are also several wonderful IQ groups - both on FaceBook (Friends Using IQ is a great group) and on Yahoo (IntelliQuilter - you don't need to own the system before you can join so you can check out what people are talking about and you can ask questions). There is also a great IntelliQuilter site that has lots of tutorials and demos (iqdemos.com that anyone can visit whether you own the system or not).

QuiltPath also has a Facebook site, but you have to already own your system before you can ask or be asked to join. If I had been able to check out this site before I purchased my system, I wouldn't have made my costly mistake because I would have seen that this system and I would not get along.

The best advice I can give you is ... DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK! (And yes, I am shouting this out to everyone!)

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the honesty..I tend to think differently 

I have a lot of construction background, reading prints and doing take offs, so I was curious about the different units.   Just starting the information gathering, not to keen on anything that will not let me "check it out " before I buy it.  It's just a website, really!!!

Again thanks, I always learn something from you Sue.

Maribeth:  I don't have a computerized system, and my experience is limited to nearly a decade of reading posts, but I think the IQ is a better choice.  I believe Quilt Path is a Grace product, and of course Grace makes all sorts of quilting products.  Intelliquilter is made by Kasa Engineering, who make only the Intellistitch stitch regulator, and the Intelliquilter.  A lot narrower focus.

I've had experience with Kasa since I had two older long arms fitted with the Intellistitch  regulators.  Besides being one of the best stitch regulators on the market, they are very responsive to any problem you might have.  They really do stand behind their product.

From simply looking at the two systems, the Intellistitch seems to be better engineered.  Their drive motors seem to be a better design choice than the belt drive system of the Quilt Path.  APQS is a great company, so they won't sell you a poor product, so Quilt Path must be good, but if I were buying a full featured robotic system, it would be the Intelliquilter.  It seems like folks with experience with both products prefer the IQ.  I hope my thoughts are helpful.  Jim

Hi, thanks Jim.  I agree with you.  I love my stitch regulator,  when I ordered my Millie in 04. The rep said it was a smart add on, so I did it.  If I may, how long have you been Quilting?  I met a wonderful man at a sewing shop, and he was a big help to me when I first got into this.  He and his wife would let me come over and use his long arm to see if I would really like it. I wish they still lived here.  Anyway, thanks again. In learning the price of the units..wow.. It would be a while before I could afford one.  

Again thanks, sorry to blather, don't really have anyone to talk with about this stuff. Thanks for listening and answering honestly.

Maribeth:  I've been quilting for over 10 years now.  Started with a KenQuilt stretched 622. moved to a P17.(a Singer 201 based stretched machine), and then to a Gammill Classic, and a year later added my APQS Ult 2.  I've had the Ult 2 for nearly 9 years.  Having had a couple of "lesser" machines, I really appreciate the design and quality of the Gammill and APQS.  I do the occasional commission quilt as well as most of the quilting for our sewing group, and have probably quilted about 1000 quilts over my quilting "life".

I'm happy to share some of the insights I've gained as a result of my experience, and hope my thoughts are helpful to the folks here on the forum.  Jim

Archived