HELP! My top thread on my Mille has suddenly started fraying and breaking. I have changed the needle three times, sanded the hopping foot and two curly thread guides for possible burs, and i am out of ideas or things to try. I just quilted a t-shirt quilt with the same cone of thread so I don't think that is it. I use Superior So Fine 50wt. Anyone know what could be wrong? I am desperate for answers. 

Cyndi

Loosen your pigtails and rotate them 180 degrees and tighten them back up.  I've never had any luck trying to sand the grooves out of them.  If that works you are good for many months so there is no rush to special order them.  That has been my most common reason for top thread fraying.

Nigel

• 1 month later...

If "slip" stitches means skipped stitches, it's probably a timing issue.  If it means something else, I don't know.  The thread breakage could be caused by a number of thing.  Give us a little more info about what you've done to try and correct the problem, and a bit more detail about exactly how the thread is breaking.  Also the type of thread you're using.  Jim

• 6 months later...

My 2012 Millie started skipping stitches yesterday after I changed the bobbin.  I'm using King Tut thread.  I changed the needles and it didn't help.  I'm quilting a t-shirt quilt that is bordered and sashed with a twill fabric.  Makes for a heavy quilt.  The backing is quilters cotton and the batting is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20.  I've cleaned in the bobbin area, oiled the machine, checked the timing.  The timing looks fine.  It's not hitting.  Just turned the pit tails 180 degrees a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be a burr or groove in them.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks for whatever advice you may give me.

The 120 should be big enough.  Are the skipped stitches random, or do they appear near seams, or in the painted areas of the knit fabric?  I just quilted a T shirt quilt and had lots of problems near the seams.  A build up of fabric and stabilizer was just too much drag on the needle so my machine would skip stitches, especially moving in difficult directions.  I hate T shirt quilts!  I just had to restitch until I completed the pattern.

I've never used King Tut.  It's too expensive, but more to the point, it's cotton which means a lot of lint (another thing I hate), and has a reputation for being difficult.  I always use Bottom Line because it's about as easy a bobbin thread as you can find.  Hope I've been of some help.  Jim

Good morning Jim,

I changed the needle to a 120, used Sewers Aid on the thread both top and freehanded the rest of that terrible t-shirt to get done with it without stitching on the white rubbery print.  The rest of the quilt went fine.  Thanks so much for your help.

I've always used a lot of King Tut thread.  When I first went to an APQS Roadshow they were using and promoting Superior threads and specifically King Tut.  I have had a little trouble with Magnifico and some others, but King Tut is my go to.  To each their own, I guess.

Thanks for taking time from your day to help me.

Have a great Monday,

Kate  

Archived