Recommended Posts

Just off my quilt frame this week, "Surf Song" bargello.  From the book Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright.  Needed a king size quilt for my bed and instead of adding borders to make a king sized "Surf Song" I kept building the bargello to the edges.  I quilted it with IQ and the panto Ripples by Lorien Quilting.  I will make coordinating batik pillowcases and of course still need to bind the beast!!

Robin in MT

bargello outside.jpg

bargello.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much.  The quilt is 114 x 100.  I wanted it big enough to drape on the sides and also to allow a little for shrinkage when it gets washed.   I did preshrink my Hobbs cotton batting but did not preshrink the batiks so we'll see how that goes someday... 

And Cagey, something that goes with my green walls was just what I was going for.  The wall color is called pale opal and I love it, but it Is not the easiest color to find coordinates for, even with all the fabric out there in the world.  Isn't it amazing how many colors of a color there are??

I love the movement on this quilt pattern, too.  I live by a huge lake and I was thinking of water with a little sand and grass when choosing my colors.  My husband's response when he saw it on the bed the first time was "it's crooked."  See what I deal with in my life everyday?  Gotta love'em.

Robin in MT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin, this is wonderful!  I am going to make a king-sized bargello wedding quilt for our daughter and son-in-law, whenever they decide on colors.  They have just moved into a new house, so maybe sooner, rather than later.  They looked up bargello quilts on-line, and were surprised to see how many variations there are.  (I have one hanging in our house, which was the only way they knew about them.)  I will show them your quilt, and maybe the book will have just what they want.

Thanks for sharing!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again everybody.  Just a note, the quilt was actually 114 1/4 x 100 before quilting and after quilting it is 112 x 98 1/2.  I figured it would shrink up a bit with the quilting.  The "Ripples" panto was a medium to large density pattern.  100% cotton batting (preshrunk). 

Now that I have made it king sized the hard way, I know how I could have done it a lot easier, so Betsy if you need to make a king size and don't want to do it by adding borders, give me a holler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin said:

 Now that I have made it king sized the hard way, I know how I could have done it a lot easier, so Betsy if you need to make a king size and don't want to do it by adding borders, give me a holler.

Thanks, Robin, I will keep that in mind!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...