quilting different size borders

I am having a hard time coming up with an idea on how to quilt the borders on a quilt where all the borders are different sizes.  The sides are 12"; the bottom is 6" and the top is 14" (most likely for covering pillows).  Do I take the design that I use in the 6" border and do it all the way around and then come up with something else in the remainder of the space?  I am thinking the center of this quilt will most likely be crosshatched. I would really love to hear your ideas.

Well Betsy, I didn't want to post a picture of my quilt as I  am hoping it turns out good enough to try to get into some of the big name shows and sometimes they don't want them to be posted on any internet sites.  I will post a picture of the pattern though.  Hope this helps.  Mine is very different in colors as I went with a dark background for one.  

pattern.jpg

Could you do a double-sized version of the 6" border on the sides, where it is 12", and do that 12" version on the top, with some additional filling in or echoing to fill the entire 14"?  Given the style of the pattern, my first thought is feathers in the borders, which are adjustable for size.

Hope to be able to see your actual quilt someday.  I'm sure I will be wowed by it!

If the border fabric is the same as the background of the blocks, you could just do a meandering feather type of border.  You wouldn't have to necessarily mark anything.  If you're wanting a more formal look, how about scallops the width of the blocks.   They could be shallower on the narrow border and deeper on the wider.  Then feather the outer edge of them. You could straight line fill in the centers of the scallops.

Archived