Is simpler better???

I am wrestling with how to quilt this and I know I can get help from this forum... This quilt will be raffled by the local historic house museum. The appliques are vintage pieces, the solids are reproduction.

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/57/457/9/28/44/2566928440090977848EySygS_th.jpg

I have been thinking of Baptist fans all over, but the border is calling to me...

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/53/653/9/0/14/2439900140090977848MhnYqK_th.jpg

Would feathers in the wide mislin and cross-hatching in the checkerboard border be too over-the-top for a simple country farmhouse quilt?

Leslie,

A feather border would look lovely. Are you going to extend the cross-hatch into the smaller muslin border?

What are your thoughts on the center of the quit if the border has cross-hatching and feathers?

Clam shells would be nice too....

The next question is...what are they paying you for ...custom or all-over?

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I was still thinking about Baptist Fans in the center. I'm not any good at clamshells yet.

They are paying a discounted custom rate. I take 50% off the top-end custom, get to do whatever I want and they have to list me as quilter in all the promotions. I write-off the discount as advertising. It seems to be working- I have 2 big raffle quilts to do and 4 smaller ones.

Leslie I am going to give you a very honest opinion.

I like babtist fan but that quilt just does not say babtist fan to me. If you really want simple I would go with echo quilting around the applique and something else simple crosshatiching maybe.

Now on the other hand I do not think elegant is out of the picture for that quilt. You could do a lovely feather around that border. Do some tight fill around those applique and then a little quilting in the applique to add a bit of dimension. The plain blocks should get a little featherd wreath to go with your feather. In the checkerboard in the border do a tight fill in the white and leave the colored blocks unquilted.

My opinion is that the quilting makes or breaks the quilt. A wow quilting job is gonna bring way more money than one that is just quilted with something simple. If you are getting free advertisement do as good a job as you can. Make it so people will want to have a closer look and knock their socks off!

I think it would look pretty with a feathered border. I agree that the inner blocks should be quilted seperately, especially if they are listing you as the quilter (advertising for you, so do your best). But, if you don't want to do all the inner blocks seperately there is a really pretty panto that it loops and butterflies (can't think of the name of it right now) that might look pretty in the center section. I would put a little something special in each one of those outer checkerboard blocks as well, if it were me.

I think the panto that Teresa is referring to is called Butterfly Charm by Hermione Agee fro Lorien Studios.

I have used this panto and it quilts up beautifully.

But I gotta tell ya, I would not use a panto or a Baptist Fans or clams on this beauty. I think that you have a chance to really shine with this quilt. I love the feathered wreath idea or a constant motif and then echo the butterflies in the blocks. Then CC the block border and feathers in that wide muslin band. This thing will draw the eye of every person that has a grand-daughter. ;)

I fully admit that I am scared to death of quilting applique. It represents somebody's time and hard work. I don't think that I could ever plow thru it with fans or a panto. I know, Im just a scaredy cat. But there it is.:D

post--13461898098158_thumb.gif

Linda,

I don't think its being a scaredy cat....I don't do it either, its repecting the work and time as you said. Unless its really really poorly appliqued I would never quilt into it. For the most part. Sometimes leaves need to have a bit of stitches to show vains and stems, but not butterflies or sunbonnet sues and sams.

I am one to argue that it shouldn't be plowed over either, so I'm in your corner on this one.

I would not take CoffeeNQuilts's advice about writing-off the discount as advertising - I really doubt that would pass an audit. The IRS rules are quite clear that you can't deduct labor as a charity deduction, and this is really charity. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but who needs trouble from the IRS?

Julia

Of course, it depends on your level of experience, you can do many things to this darlene quilt. From as simple as Sewing a big X on the big colored squares, I also saw a pattern where you make 2 lines centered diagonally and 2 lines centered horizontally (they end up looking like a tick tack toe.

Or you can stipple it and perhaps echo around the pictures. You can stipple or feather meander the whole thing finalizing a feather on the final white border. If your much more experienced, play with it and you'll probably be happy, you have probably already discovered some ideas. I like to look around on webshots dot com and come up with ideas. That is where I came up with my own personal feather meander, I've only been machine quilting about 7 months and I'm really proud of my newly developed feather meander. When its done, please post it where we can all see it, mostly just enjoy doing it.

Linden

Sorry I got folks concerned about my bookkeeping... I should have said I "consider" the discount advertising. If I need to get the IRS involved, I can always just charge full price for the quiting and make a "donation" from my personal checkbook for the discount.

My husband always says he will come see me at "Club Fed" every on visitors day...LOL

Leslie - I agree with the many that have said not to "plow through" those

appliques. They are just too cute - and vintage to boot. These blocks do

require custom work. Very pretty quilt - I like the feathers in the border

idea, tight in the white, leave the colored squares.... Me I am a big fan of

crosshatching - that is what I would do in the solid big squares with an

echo or tight menader around the butterflies. Good Luck and please post a

photo when you get done - fun to see the before and after photos!

Sewingupastorm has my vote. I would not put even more butterflies on it in the large colored squares. The wreaths sound spectacular and could denote flowers that the applique butterflies are moving through. Echoing the applique would draw more attention to them which I think is justified. I also like the big long weaving feather pattern in the white bands encircling the quilt. Can't wait to see this finished because it has a lot of appeal already and should draw some good auction money.

Thank you Linda for the information on Butterfly Charm panto. I had seen that done on a satin quilt at a show in March and looked high and low for it. You made my day.

Vicki

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I don't know if this actually became simpler, but it is definitely old fashioned and traditional.

I am pleased with the feather borders and the SID in the checkerboard. I was affraid of the cross-hatching because I never seem to get all the starts and stops locked down and end up re-stitching alot. Thank goodness for zippers.

So, here are the pictures. It is going to get a thin blue binding and then get raffled off this summer.

post--13461898112031_thumb.jpg

Very nicley done Leslie - Good Luck with the raffle! My next one to load is

for a fund raiser also. This one is all new fabrics and design, but I am going

to put crosshatching in the wide outside border. She wants something

floral in the blocks. Get out my Circle Lord!!:)

Archived