Can Lucey handles this?

AnnP

I have a customer that googled how to do a tee shirt quilt... she did what they said. Put fusible on the back, but the problem is it is not breathable. Its like a vinyl. Can I quilt this, or should I try to get it off. LOL I know how close to impossible that is, Or do I tell her I cant help her. HELP ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREAT!

20170921_175635.jpg

oh my,

Did she put the kind of fusible on the back that you can stitch?  There are several kinds....sounds like she did not use the right kind....I think I would tell her  "no can do".  or maybe you could try a bit of it and see what happens...You may have problems with breaking needles, throwing your timing off, breaking threads, needle getting gummed up with residue if it is the wrong kind.....did she use sashing?  did she put the fusible on that too???  Others will post too...Can you tell us what type of fusible it is and what the packaging says it can be used for?  .Lin

You might get her to give you a small test sample, so you can try to see how it stitches out.  That way she knows going in what the final result will be.  

I for one believe that is going to be one hot moist quilt, as it looks like it will not breath with all that plastic.  It is sad that she used the wrong material, as it probably will never come off without leaving some sort of residue or messing up the shirts.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

I agree.... a test sample.  You do not want to damage your machine forcing it to stitch through this stuff repeatedly.  I wonder just how this is going to wash up?  I have never heard or seen this type of stabilizer...very strange.  :wacko:

Could you customer find the receipt for the stabilizer purchase or possibly remember where she bought it, so the both of you can find out what type of stabilizer it is, so the best quilting results can be achieved?  

My personal belief is if you go slow and take your time, you ABQS will stitch right through the material.  The true problem will be what it looks like when it is done.  Your customer may not want to pay for the results they get.  If they show it to someone, it will be your quilting skills not the materials to make the quilt, that will be the problem.  I do not see the needle holes closing up after washing, and I am not sure how the thread is going to lay on the fabric.  Tension, who knows.  As you are doing this for a living, you have to protect your good name and skill set.

Let us know what you learn, as I for one want to stay far far away from that stabilizer.

Cagey

It almost looks like the iron on vinyl to make raincoats etc. I am pretty sure it is not meant to be quilted. She may have to make a wall hanging out of this..... if it is not too heavy to hang. If she has some left, I would have her attach it to some t shirt scraps and then reheat it and see if it peels off. Even if there is a bit of residue, it would be better than having this heavy stuff on there. Then she can attach some lighter weight stabilizer, the right kind. It will be a lot of work to take apart and re-do. Guess it depends on how precious the shirts are too her. :unsure:

So... I have some sewing machine needles that are for vinyl and I tried sewing on my DSM with a walking foot. So Im going to put the tshirt quilt on my frame and quilt the border, and then Im going to quilt the Tshirts on my DSM. I cant tell her no. She knows she messed up.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally quilted the borders. Even tried stitching in the ditch with Lucey. I didnt make her happy, but she did great for 1 block. I stopped then and am going to finish it on my DSM as planned. Too scared to mess her up! 

Archived