M and M wheels

I have an old, 1993, Ultimate 1. I just had Intellistitch put on. I've not really used the machine as yet, and it's my first longarm machine. So I really don't know how it should handle, although I have played with new machines at shows. 

It has M and M wheels that the previous owner told me were only a year old. She did not use the machine hardly at all due to health problems. So the wheels should be pretty good, so she said.

To me, the machine seems difficult to move around. Not at all smooth like at the shows. The machine and frame are level, but on Berber type carpet. Rails and wheels are cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. The machine does not travel but maybe halfway down the frame when given a good push like they say it should. I'm about to start quilting my first longarm quilt and I'm concerned my machine isn't ready......

Questions: Is the handling because it's an old, heavy machine compared to the newer ones at the shows?

Could the wheels need replacing? How do I tell by visual inspection?All of them, some of them?

Are there adjustments I might do to the wheels to make the machine move better? What are those adjustments?

I can't afford a Bliss system. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for any and all advice. I've been sewing and quilting for ages, but this is my first foray into long arms.

sarah

I have a 2008 Millie on the un-blissed frame. I upgraded to the m & m wheels.  I've had bearings go bad in them.  When no quilt was loaded on the frame, she would only travel to about halfway down the frame before stopping.  Trying to quilt freehand felt like I was dragging a big heavy weight.  If you can make sure the wheels are adjusted so that the weight of the machine isn't on the top edge that should help with the ease of movement. If you remove the wheels and hold on the the bearing portion only and it doesn't spin freely,  then the bearings are worn out and need replacing. That's my 2 cents worth. 

Thanks for both replies.

Jim, those horizontal wheels, as I look at them, two on the back of the carriage have the edge of the rail completely filling the groove on the wheel. It looks pretty tight against the inside of the groove. In the other two, (in front) the edge is not snug on the inside of the groove, and the wheel seems to be almost hanging on the inside top of the wheel.

can you picture what I mean?

6 hours ago, Abercroft said:

Thanks for both replies.

Jim, those horizontal wheels, as I look at them, two on the back of the carriage have the edge of the rail completely filling the groove on the wheel. It looks pretty tight against the inside of the groove. In the other two, (in front) the edge is not snug on the inside of the groove, and the wheel seems to be almost hanging on the inside top of the wheel.

can you picture what I mean?

Your carriage and table should not be snug inside the groove of the wheel.  It should appear that only the top section of the wheel is sitting lightly on the carriage.

Archived