Magnifier warning

Just wanted to let you know what happened the other day. 

One evening when I was cutting fabric, I wanted a little extra light because my ruler was casting a little shadow. I remembered my magnifier had a light, so I clamped it to my table and it was what I needed. I left it there and didn't think anything of it. A few days later I went to clear stuff off my cutting mat and noticed a burn mark. I just couldn't figure out how it happened. Then I noticed my magnifier clamped to my table. That table is next to a window.  The burn on my mat was about 1-1/2 feet down from the magnifier. It must have been lined up just right so that the sun shining in the window caused the burn. I was blessed nothing else caught fire. It was there for several days. 

Deb.

image.jpeg.257d5b2f7fc52e45b382d02ff4dc1aa3.jpeg

I did the same thing with a large floor magnifier lamp.  I had near my favorite chair.  I had bumped it with the sweeper pushing it closer to the window.  I came home the next day and could smell something burning.  It smelled like and electrical fire.  I frantically searched all over the house and finally spotted the chair which had a quilt folded across the back of the chair.  It had burned through the multiple layers of this quilt and burned the chair bad enough it had to be thrown out.  I was lucky that all the fabric was fire retardant.

Thanks for the heads up, I keep a magnafier next to my applique chair next to a window and will be more careful in the future...funny, now that I mention that to my DH he has a story where he was sent to the see the principle in elementary school for watching a friend use a magnafier to burn a hole in the bus seat...

Be careful of those round thin vertical clear glass plate style liquid candles too.  The ones we have in the house came with specific instructions to keep them away from windows and more importantly the sun.  I guess the liquid wax and the glass work together to form a magnifying glass, which can start a fire.  

Cagey

Archived