Quilta93

Magnifier warning

Just wanted to let you know what happened the other day. 

One evening when I was cutting fabric, I wanted a little extra light because my ruler was casting a little shadow. I remembered my magnifier had a light, so I clamped it to my table and it was what I needed. I left it there and didn't think anything of it. A few days later I went to clear stuff off my cutting mat and noticed a burn mark. I just couldn't figure out how it happened. Then I noticed my magnifier clamped to my table. That table is next to a window.  The burn on my mat was about 1-1/2 feet down from the magnifier. It must have been lined up just right so that the sun shining in the window caused the burn. I was blessed nothing else caught fire. It was there for several days. 

Deb.

image.jpeg.257d5b2f7fc52e45b382d02ff4dc1aa3.jpeg

Yikes!  Thankful nothing else happened!

Deb

May your passion for thread & fabric creations bring joy to you and others!

Blessed wife to my amazing husband, thankful mom to my phenomenal kids, Caretaker to the very spoiled fur & feather babies.

Blissed APQS Lenni 2016, a few Janome's and a beautiful Featherweight

Blog: applewoodquilts.blogspot.com

I'm very careful with my magnifying glasses for this reason.  I might be 64 3/4 but remember playing with them in science class.  Really glad the burn stayed on the mat.

Connie
Port Huron, MI   48060
APQS Sales Rep and Educator
Millennium with Intelliquilter (IQ)

"Be a good listener, your ears will never get you in trouble" Frank Tygr

sewsweetgator@aol.com
http://www.yoursite.com
287890c1690b93fca26ac74c1d32b308.png

Yikes. Scary! In the future, suggest cover it up / drape it with a towel when not in use. 

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

I did the same thing with a large floor magnifier lamp.  I had near my favorite chair.  I had bumped it with the sweeper pushing it closer to the window.  I came home the next day and could smell something burning.  It smelled like and electrical fire.  I frantically searched all over the house and finally spotted the chair which had a quilt folded across the back of the chair.  It had burned through the multiple layers of this quilt and burned the chair bad enough it had to be thrown out.  I was lucky that all the fabric was fire retardant.

Missy

Thanks for the heads up, I keep a magnafier next to my applique chair next to a window and will be more careful in the future...funny, now that I mention that to my DH he has a story where he was sent to the see the principle in elementary school for watching a friend use a magnafier to burn a hole in the bus seat...

aedc2cc10e0045c5397509e8f6b74d4d.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/

Proud Millie Owner!

Sew Many Quilts - Sew Little Time

Custom Long Arm Quilting

I don't have a big magnifier but can see one in my future. I NEVER would have thought of this so really appreciate your warning. So glad you found it in time.

signaturedimage

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying, 'Dang, that was fun'!

2017 Blissed Lenni and loving it!

Be careful of those round thin vertical clear glass plate style liquid candles too.  The ones we have in the house came with specific instructions to keep them away from windows and more importantly the sun.  I guess the liquid wax and the glass work together to form a magnifying glass, which can start a fire.  

Cagey

May your threads be balanced, and your bobbin forever full….