Would Somebody Tell Me. . . . .

I am going to buy a long arm machine this year. . . thought I knew I was going to get a Gammill; then I saw an APQS. I see many more Gammills for resale than APQS. Now I am just confused.

Will somebody tell me why they prefer one over? They appear to have about the same capabilities. What am I missing?

Thank you. Judie01

You really need to do your homework before you decide on one or the other. For me it was APQS hands down. The machines are lighter, my Millie is around 50 pounds or less...you won't find that in a Gammill. I have had carpel tunnel and shoulder surgery, so for me that was a huge thing. I'm sure the sales reps can tell you details about the mechanics, but you can also read about them on the machine comparison page of this site. I'm sure Gammill has something showing the stats on their machines too, then you compare yourself. Read through some of the posts on this chat - and I'm sure there are other places on the internet where you can get opinions, seems like everyone has one...:)

Good luck in your search.

Also take into consideration service....and the people who run those departments.

APQS has a very conscientious staff, which I didn't find when I was trying to deal with Gammil many many years ago. The APQS staff today still make me feel like I am the only person that they are taking care of that day, where I never felt that way with the other companies.

You will find it all comes down to what you can or can't afford, the service you wish to have and how you will be taken care of after you get it home.

The machines no matter which one you are looking at, are so similiar that it will just depend on which you find fits you. The APQS's are a bit lighter when using the machines, they now have a hydraulic lifts that adjust the machines to fit you....some companies do and don't.

As to why more Gammill's are on the resale market...you would have to ask the person who is selling as to why. Some are upgrading to another brand, some are being sold because they aren't being used anymore and some are selling because they just don't want to quilt anymore.

Good luck in your hunt....

Like Bonnie and Mary Beth, Mary (my business partner) and I did a LOT of research before we chose APQS. APQS was not the first machine we owned but before long we found we had to UPGRADE to a machine that was capable of doing what we were asking it to accomplish!

Judie, if you would care to email me privately I send you an information packet plus answer many of the other questions and concerns you have. You are also welcome to give us a call at our studio either daytime, evenings, or weekends. We are usually not far from a phone and can get back to you quickly. You haven't indicated what part of the country you are in so I really don't know who your nearest APQS dealer is. However, we have clients all over the US so would love to work with you to answer some of your concerns.

We look forward to helping you make such an important decision in your quilting career.

Janet

I'm excited about an honest discussion of the pros/cons and likes/dislikes on the various machines and brands.

It was about two weeks between the time that I decided that buying a longarm was a good idea (more about that sometime) and actually buying one.

Around here, so far as I know, everything is Gammill. I waited until the Winter Quilt Show (a couple of weeks) with the plan to buy a Gammill at the show for the show discount. While I was there, I got to see a KenQuilt, the Gammill, and a couple of other lesser popular brands that I don't remember right now. The Gammill and the Nolting had the best stitching that I saw; they were perfectly matched on stitch quality.

I bought the Nolting, because I thought it was better made (USA) than the Gammill, it didn't require the TONS of oil that the Gammill used, it handled almost as well (it's tough to decide whether it moves better or not, they are so close), I got a pretty good show price, and they let me think it over with the show deal for another 4 days. I think I did pretty well, but I still regret not getting to see/try a Millinium or any other APQS machine. I wouldn't buy any model without trying it first in any case.

Now I see a virtually new Millinium somewhere in Oklahoma for sale, but I don't have room for two longarms, and I still owe half on the Nolting. I wouldn't have been able to buy it anyway, since my bank will only loan on new equipment.

I am a previous Gammill owner...it was too heavy of a machine for me. I love my machines...I own a Liberty for custom work and a Millie with a compuquilter.

My suggestion is to go MQS (Machine Quilters Showcase) this June in Overland Park, KS . Every machine company is there...you can try them all out and figure out what is best for you. You can test drive all 3 APQS models.

There is also MQX (Machine Quilters Showcase) in Manchester, NH but that is an April show.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Thank you. I guess my newness is showing. What a wonderful thing to have all the mfgrs. under one roof for a trade show! (for about 25 yrs I operated a multi-shop flower operation; I love trade shows!)

Thank you. Blessings. Judie

Guest Linda S

Judie - your newness isn't showing - it's your intelligence! You should buy the best machine for you. I've used a Gammill before, and they are wonderful machines, but they are very heavy and they have very complicated thread paths. I've seen more posts on longarm lists about problems running this or that thread on them. They also occupy most of the 'repairs needed' forums and, you're right, there are an awful lot of them for sale used. That should tell you a lot right there.

Linda

Your comments about the difficulties threading and/or utilizing various threads on a Gammill and the frequency of repairs is most valuable! I have always believed that the "best recommendations" come from the

people who use them----after the honeymoon sales pitch is over ---Day in & day out!

Judie,

If you go to www.imqa.org you can get info on MQS in Kansas. It is an awesome show-- all the major brands of longarms are there, and you can walk from one to the other and back again and get a really good feel for the differences in machines, tables, stitch regulators, etc.

You also can take tons of classes, on everything from business, borders, problem quilts, studio stuff, thread, etc, etc, etc. And IN those classes are tons of LA quilters-- many of whom have changed brands before. You can get good feedback from them-- why did you change, what do you wish you had now.....

I went to Innovations and did what I described above-- drove machines, picked other quilters brains, etc, and have never regretted my decision-- it was and is the right machine for me-- so much so I became a dealer later.

Try them all, pick what fits you the best, and do lots of research. Many of the brands have their own forums-- and you will find happy customers and machine issues on all of them-- and they will all be a bit biased toward their brand. It is helpful to read about the issues before hand too.

Good luck!

Brenda Janovy

A-1 Elite

Great ideas about the trade shows. It's wonderful to have the kind of shows where a person gets the opportunity to not only see the machine close up but also to have that

opportunity to try out the machines. "The cat's meow!"

The thing that sold me on APQS was the lack of "pokies" - I was about to order a Gammill and called up someone from my guild to ask her how she liked hers, and she said she loved it, then proceeded to tell me everything wrong with it for over an hour! The biggest thing was that she had to use the same color in the top as the bobbin, else the thread showed through on one side or the other - the "pokies". I looked at the Gammill manual on line, and it even said it there, so you know it must be a problem. My friend said that she asked about it at her longarm quilters guild, and everyone with a Gammill said nothing could be done, and everyone with an APQS said they didn't have any problem.

I also got Carol Thelan's (sp?) book on choosing a longarm, and ever feature that I wanted was available on the APQS and no other machine had all of them.

The maintenance class is HIGHLY worthwhile - my husband and I took it together and he has made several adjustments that have made my used machine run like a dream. (In my defense, I probably could have made them too after taking the class - just would have taken me a little longer :) .....)

I would also look at resale value. The APQS models I see for sale seem to keep their value, especially compared to some of the lesser known brands.

I've been very pleased with APQS. As my mother told me, an artist deserves the best tools available :). What a great mom!

Good luck!

Julia

Thank you, Julia. All very good points (especially about that thread). I haven't given much thought to the maintenance class (not being real mechanical) but it's beginning to appear

as though the majority of APQS owners take the mechanical

class.

Archived