Cutting Strips for piecing/binding

Recently at my guild meeting, a quilter demoed a Creative Grids Stripology Squared Ruler.  She said it has become her go to ruler for cutting most fabric.  My question, is I was taught to fold yardage in half, and then cut it.  Using the Stripology ruler, you have to fold the fabric twice.  Is there reduction of accuracy or precision by folding your fabric twice and then cutting?  

I ask, as I do not want to get a $52 dollar ruler that doesn't work well for me.  Thank you for the advice in advance.

Cagey

I have also folded my fabric twice to cut strips....just like folding it in half....you have to make sure the folding is at right angles to the ruler so you don't get those angles in the stripe...but it is very doable....just take care when making both folds......I now use my accuquilt Go to cut most of my stripes....goes so fast.....The was a hefty investment too but great for me as I am aging.....

Sharon;

As I have never tried the double fold method, I did not know this.  I will have to experiment with some scrape fabric to see how it works.  Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Sewing Pup;

Accuquilt is great, but you have to go with the sizes they offer.  Again, I was taught to use 2 1/4 inch strips for binding, so that is what I use.  I was lucky enough to find a used one, so I do have the cutter, and the fact that my local guild has a hug library of dies, makes it a useful tool.  Thank you sharing your input.

NHDeb;

I can see the use of dies, but was wondering about the odd 1 3/4 or 2 1/4 cuts which the Stripology Squared ruler offers after double folding.  Thank your for sharing.  

Cagey

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

NHDeb;

I can see the use of dies, but was wondering about the odd 1 3/4 or 2 1/4 cuts which the Stripology Squared ruler offers after double folding.  Thank your for sharing.  

Cagey

Cagey, I've been using an AccuQuilt Go! cutter for years. I have a strip cutter for the 2¼" strips (die #55053) and for the 1¾" strips (die #55083). There are lots and lots of dies to choose from. I use both the 2½" strips and the 2¼" strips for binding depending on what look I want on the finished quilt.

I tried to think of what size strips, squares, and triangles I used the most.....and that is what I got....I have 1, 1.5, 2 & 2.5 inch strip cutters.....I have used all of them frequently....the one I use the least is the 1 inch one....but when I need 1 inch strips....it sure beats trying to cut them myself......I also got the 2, 3.5, and 5 inch square ones.....and I have some half square triangle cutters which I love to use, both because of the multiple triangles you can cut in one pass and because the dog ears are already cut off making them easy to stitch together....over the years....I have added other dies usually during a sale and/or free shipping event.....I usually stay away from the "specialty dies" as I figure I will not use them as much.....and of course I have a large collection of rulers....some of which I now use very rarely.....I do however love having a ruler near the size I find comfortable to use....so my square ruler collection includes several sizes between 2.5 inch square to 15.5 inch square.....

I use the 2-1/4" Accuquilt die for binding, seldom use the 2-1/2" die any more.  I also have the 1", 1-1/4",  1-1/2", 1-3/4", and 2" dies and use them for cutting strips for string quilts and inner borders for quilts.  I recently used the 1-1/2" die to cut strips for a queen size log cabin quilt.  After cutting the strips I cross cut to the exact length that I needed the pieces and it worked great.  This is the first time that I have tried cross cutting and it was not a problem.  If you do it, remember to line up the fabric straight or perpendicular to the knives so that the pieces are square/rectangular as you require.

57 minutes ago, yankiequilter said:

I recently used the 1-1/2" die to cut strips for a queen size log cabin quilt.  After cutting the strips I cross cut to the exact length that I needed the pieces and it worked great.  This is the first time that I have tried cross cutting and it was not a problem.  

Carmen, the next time you need to cut "logs" try cutting the fabric by the width you need (i.e. an 8" x 1.5" log). Cut an 8" x wof strip. Then put that on the 1.5" strip cutter to cross cut your 1.5" x 8" logs. I think that is easier and faster and I believe there is less stretch because your selvedge edge is parallel to the blades.

Hi,

On my dies.....I have added additional lines with a permanent marker.  I have added lines 1/4 of an inch on either side of the outside blades and I also added lines at right angles to the blades on my strip cutters so add in lining things up straight....I think the newer dies usually are two colored now and do have some angle lines on them......

11 hours ago, Sue E. said:

Carmen, the next time you need to cut "logs" try cutting the fabric by the width you need (i.e. an 8" x 1.5" log). Cut an 8" x wof strip. Then put that on the 1.5" strip cutter to cross cut your 1.5" x 8" logs. I think that is easier and faster and I believe there is less stretch because your selvedge edge is parallel to the blades.

Sue, the way that you described is what I did, my explanation was not clear.  It makes cutting for a log cabin so much easier and faster!

I have been a “lurker” on this forum since I purchased my Lenny this summer.  I have learned lots of useful hints while reading posts.  Just had to comment on the original question about the Stripology ruler.  I purchased one a couple of months ago, based on the recommendation of a friend.  I LOVE it.  I can cut multiple strips, then turn the strips and cut multiple squares and rectangles.  Then I learned a new use - squaring up your squares!!  I love it even more.  (I was very bad about wanting to square up my squares routinely, I will be much better now.).  And $52 is much cheaper than the Accuquilt cutter and having to buy the extras.  The only dimension that it doesn’t cut is 1/8”.   

Rulers are getting so expensive. Have you seen the cost of those Bloc_loc rulers for flying geese? Anyway, when I watched a demo on the Stripology Squared Ruler, the ruler looked very similar to the "Square It Up" ruler I already had. Using the same techniques, I was able to use my existing ruler to achieve the same great results.

Hi Cagey. I have been using a Shape Cut ruler for years and I love it. It is the same idea as the Stripology ruler with the slots. I was skeptical at first, thinking it wouldn't be accurate, but I was pleasantly surprised. It really saves time. I do find that the plastic around the slots can be a bit wobbly so I use another ruler on top to stabilize the one I'm cutting against. You don't have to line up the ruler with the slot exactly, just slide it along top as you go to hold it in place. Not sure if that makes sense. My Shape cut is getting a bit worn and I have been thinking of replacing it. When I do, I'll probably  go with this one. I like the 45 and 60 degree lines on it. My Shape Cut doesn't have those. As for folding the fabric again, the trick there is to make sure the folds are parallel to each other. if they are not, you'll get bends in your strips where the folds are. They are pricy but I don't think you'd regret getting this ruler. 

Melissa (who is excited to be able to contribute to a topic for a change instead of just asking questions  all the time. Lol)

Melissa;

Thank you for sharing your views and education all of us on the subject.  I have decided to put the ruler on my Christmas wish list for my mother.  She is always pressing me and the grandkids for what we want to make her shopping task easier.  This will make it easy for her to buy for me at least.  Thank you again, and have a wonderful night.

Cagey

Archived