New to me Freedom

I am new to this forum and I bought a used Freedom just recently.  I have a pile of questions and maybe I can get a few of them answered here.  I was told this machine was made in 1995, but I have no clue as how to confirm that.  The machine's little fluorescent light in the front does not work and I checked it with a new tube...no luck.  I'm not sure the manual I was given was for this machine exactly as it says Freedom SR as I don't think mine has a stitch regulator - at least it doesn't say SR on the machine.  I'm not sure what the lights on the top of the machine are for - the red, yellow and green square lights.  Last night I quilted a small quilt with easy loopy circles and stars.  The stitch tension is good but the stitch length is consistently long, about 1/4 inch.   Would I be able to add a quilt system to this machine seeing as that it is so old?  I would like to do a bit of ruler work and is there a ruler table available I could purchase.  I attached pics of all sides of the machine and I'll probably have a whole load more questions, but for now I would appreciate any help I can get.  Thank you everyone.

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

Did you turn the light on with the black switch on the left of the machine just above the front handles?  If it is turned on, and the bulb is good, it is possible that the starter for the flourescent light has gone bad.

Send service an email with the serial number and they can tell you the manufacturing date.  My papers only go back to 2003.

The square lights on the top are diagnostic lights.

No stitch regulator on this machine.  You can increase the motor speed by that dial on the top right of the machine, right before the "F" in Freedom Higher number will make the needle go faster.  You still need to regulate how fast you move the machine to get the stitch length you want.

You have the thread cutter, so the expanded base with threadcutter will fit this machine so you can do rulerwork.  Hope this helps.

There is a light switch (black in colour)  above the connector from the front handles, it rotates and the main power switch must be on as well.  Failing that there is a fluorescent starter behind the front cover.  That machine is not that old probably more like 2005 but if you give APQS the serial number they can tell you for sure.  It looks like there is a speed control on right side of the machine about six inches from the front on the top cover turn it clockwise I believe to increase the speed.

Nigel

Hi Lindy,

Yes, this is a non-stitch regulated machine.  There is a sticker down on the back of the throat that has a number on it.  That is the serial number and we can tell you the year it was manufactured by that number.  Also as the others said about the light, if turning the switch doesn't work, there is a fluorescent starter behind that front cover that might be bad.  Don't hesitate to call Service and the girls can help if needed.  :) 

Hi Lindy

I also believe you were asking about an Intelliquilter system.  Since that machine has a thread cutter it must also have the needle positioner so you would be good to go for the Intelliquilter.  It is basically the same machine as my Ultimate 1 was when I added IQ.  IQ doesn’t need the stitch regulator that some of the other computerized systems do.

Talk to Patty (Katydids) she is a dealer and can help you out.

Nigel

All great advice.  If you don't know Mark works at APQS headquarters/factory.  I just want to say welcome and that you came to the right place for help.  We are family.  I love, love the Attic windows Christmas quilt, never seen one like it. 

Archived