pricing batting

sewsew

Arby,

I price batting by the yard. So I take the wholesale price + the shipping charges and divide by the number of yards in the roll them multiply by the markup percent. The final figure is a price per yard that I charge customers. '

Hope this helps.

Debbi

I charge twice my wholesale cost (including s/h, and rounded up to the nearest penny), and charge by the linear inch. This works out to be $0.25/" for Dream Blend and $0.20/" for Dream Puff (extra thick polyester)

Remember that the roll is quite wide, so a 70" x 90" quilt would only need 70".

I haven't compared prices to my local quilt shop, but my customers haven't complained. I have mostly renters who find it easiest to just bring their quilt top and buy my batting and my thread (I charge by the bobbin for the thread).

Good luck!

Julia

I charge by the inch and I think people like it this way. I let people bring their own batting but I'd rather they use mine so I don't have to worry about the quality, so I do charge a little bit less than full retail to encourage them. Although, I must say that they don't seem to compare, the quilters seem to appreciate that I have it on hand. Another reason I like to supply it is that the quilts take up less room in my sewing room if they don't have their own batts. Right now I have a few that brought their own and I'm running out of room!!!

I just doubled the amount I paid with the first two rolls I got with my machine and did not add extra when I had the next roll shipped (I am still making plenty on it). I also sell by the inch and nobody ever blinks at my prices...................it is close to what the LQS sells it for. They can bring their own our use mine either way is fine with me. Mostly I sell it for convience of the customers.

Archived