This is what it's all about.......

A few months ago, my neighbor's 13 year old daughter asked me to help her make a quilt. How could I say no? Twist my arm? LOL!  

Anyway, this Christmas break, we got together, she picked a quilt pattern (The Road to Oklahoma) and then we went shopping for fabrics. Ultimately, I wanted her to be the decision maker for her fabrics, batting, backing, etc... I didn't want to say "NO" so I gave her some gentle guidance with fabric choices, and she chose a variety of pastel pinks, blues, grays and a tone on tone white for the background and we added a pretty light pink inner border fabric and outer border that had all of the colors of her quilt. We used the extra strips of pastel gray and pinks for the binding. She chose ultra high loft polyester batting and the backing was lusciously soft pink and white minkee. I told her to buy extra minkee backing to make sure we had plenty of backing and I told her if we had leftover minkee we could use it to make something else...  And if you're curious what we did with the leftover minkee... I had enough to make two pillow cases (I surprised her with those!!) Can you imagine how soft that might be to lay your pretty little head?  We also made a label and sewed it on the back "Made by Jacee, January 2018, North Pole Alaska" when it came to the quilting part, I showed her all sorts of adorable quilting designs she could pick from... but surprisingly, she wanted a meander. OK, girl... you got it! :)

She is absolutely thrilled with this (she now realized how much work goes into making a quilt!). I told her the more you wash it the softer it will get and it will last many many years. So here she is cuddled inside her quilt. She's a beautiful girl. It felt good to share my love of quilting and inspire her to possibly do this again in the future. She's really into soccer (like serious stuff -- she could be an olympian...she's that good at soccer she plays in soccer tournaments all over the west coast!)  I can imagine her bringing this quilt with her to the soccer tourneys, sleep-overs with school friends, etc... it will be loved and used for sure!  A bonus to the story, her mom and dad are completely over the moon about this. In fact, Mom came over and helped us pin and lay out the quilt while Jacee sewed. When Mom and Jacee were out of state at a soccer tournament, her Daddy came over one day to sew the outer border on the quilt. So, it was a family project that all of them can take pride in. YAAY! 

Anyway, thought I'd share this sweet story. Happy quilting everyone! 

Jacee.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived