Originally my customer wanted three designs for this quilt.  One in the center, another one around that, and then a different one around that.    However, because of the design ( four petals in one juncture, and eight in another) they were turning as I moved around the blocks, and they didn't look right.  Then she said just to do Nemeshing.  I knew that would be boring, so I asked Bethanne Nemesh for her help.  In two minutes, you have to love creative geniuses, she sent me three designs.  I actually chose the easiest one for me to quilt.  At  the 8 petals I rotated the Nemeshing off the center point.  Then Bethanne suggested a basketweave for the other spaces.  My customer didn't want me to mark the quilt with a blue marker, so I used a hera marker and a ruler and tried to eyeball the weave.  

I used one layer of wool batting and over one and 1/2 cones of bottom line.

38996658014_8ee0472af9.jpgString of Pearls (2) by Libby G, on Flickr

38996651154_a296da628c.jpgString of Pearls by Libby G, on Flickr

39674564562_c4776a9ac8.jpgString of Pearls (4) by Libby G, on Flickr

14 hours ago, Kwiltr said:

Gorgeous quilt and the quilting is perfect and so pretty!  Was this all done freehand Libby or with computerized designs?  I haven’t got a grasp on what can be done or not on a computerized setup, so I’m curious.  It was a lot of quilting, either way! :D

Freehand.  I don't have a computerized system.  Bethanne's nemeshing just makes a quilt look beautiful.  It's really easy to do, just time consuming.  I'm not a fast quilter and this took me over 50 hours.  It was around 113 by 90.  

1 hour ago, LibbyG said:

Freehand.  I don't have a computerized system.  Bethanne's nemeshing just makes a quilt look beautiful.  It's really easy to do, just time consuming.  I'm not a fast quilter and this took me over 50 hours.  It was around 113 by 90.  

Awesome!  It looks so perfect, I wondered :). I'm pretty sure it would take me at least double that, and it wouldn't be done as well.  It's beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 5:51 PM, EHonour said:

Libby, you just continue to impress me with your beautiful work.  One of your prior quilts got me interested in Bethanne's "Nemeshing," so I took a class on it from her at Fall Paducah.  You're right; it's pretty easy to do and looks great - but doing all the pebbles is very time-consuming.

I've noticed on Bethanne's quilt that she doesn't always have the pebbles touching.  For some reason, I thought I wasn't allowed to leave space between them, but she does.  She also uses other fillers with the pebbles.  Every time I see one of her works, I look closely and hope to use her ideas in my next one.

• 2 weeks later...