PamelaG

Tension issues with winding my own bobbins

Recommended Posts

2017 Millie with Quiltpath. Have been using prewound bobbins exclusively, mostly Magna Glide without any issues. Had never tried my Turbo winder. Got a client quilt where she wanted a variegated thread. I had a good one with Affinity by Fil-Tec. Then she decided to ask for matching thread in the bobbin. Well, Fil-Tec doesn't offer prewounds in that line that I can find. So I dug out my second bobbin case, and finally figured out how to use the Turbowinder. The bobbins looked like they wound properly. I used the aluminum ones and the same Affinity thread. Set up my machine to quilt. As usual, I tested the tensions on a sample. Ugh! Bobbin tension was bad. so started the routine to adjust it. Tightening the top only made it fractionally better, so I tried the bobbin case adjustments. Went a bit far and tightened it too much, but fixed that fast. Tightened the top several times until on the sample it looked ok. Started the panto. First pattern looked fine, so I continued. Shouldn't have. The rest of the row had wonky back tension and I'm going to have to rip it all out. The only different factor seems to be the aluminum bobbin. I don't have a TOWA gauge, but the "hold up" test was ok. Help!

Pamela

Sonoran Sky Quilting

IMG_0848.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...