FORUMS OR FACEBOOK CURIOUS

I'm just a curious person.  I was wondering  if you prefer forums or facebook groups?  I'm a forum gal.  I love the forum because you can guess how long a person has been involved with a product or skill.  I like how topics are divided into categories and doing a search for topics are fairly easy.  I just feel cozier with the forum group than facebook, I'm not sure if that's the correct verbiage.  I'm not against Facebook groups in fact I belong to a bunch.   I just wonder how long a person has been using a product before they start giving advice, etc.   I've seen bullies on both but not so much on forums now.  Forums and Facebook Groups seem like two different environments to me.  Wondering minds are curious. 

I also prefer the forum. I check into the Facebook Quilt Path group which I really appreciate, but agree that the forum is so much easier to find answers to questions I have. So.... that being said I am sad that quilters are not using the forum for QP.... Just checked the postings on Computer aided quilting and there's been VERY little activity (last posting was December 17th). 

On the Facebook group they post a lot of pictures of finished projects which are an inspiration to keep figuring out the system! Lots of questions and SO MUCH helpful information!

It's a shame that APQS QP owners are not posting on the forum for those who WILL NOT AND DO NOT use Facebook. I have several friends who for personal reasons refuse to use Facebook but wouldn't hesitate to post on a forum such as this.

Anyways - that's my 2 cents worth... 

Well, as you know I have a FB page, Quilting with Mary Beth. I like FB, but I think I liked the forum when we all use to be here. No offense to anyone here now, it  just use to be hopping, it is very quiet in comparison. Some of the FB pages make me crazy and I leave them because of it. I hate it when the "leader" of the page releases a BOM and 40,000 people ask when will it start? where can I find the patterns? am I too late?  Or if someone asks a question or needs help, 73 people post the same answer. No one reads the posts. It is like a feeding frenzy. That being said, it is nice that there is a broader audience. You see more quilters work, etc. The one thing the really makes me mad on FB is to have the dealer of a particular LA company disrespect quilters with another brand. Such bad taste. The two quilters that did this are way up on the food chain. If I had just been here on the forum, I would have never read what they said....and would have continued to buy their products. When that happened I deleted them from my FB friends list. 

OK, I don't do Facebook and really, really hope you all continue use this forum!  When I do a search, I can see that at one time the forum was extremely active, I wish I was here then, but I've only had a longarm for a couple years..  I so enjoy all of your posts, pictures and comments, you all have guided this novice more than you'll ever know. The information and inspiration is priceless!  I realize it takes everyone's participation to have a great forum but I feel it is worth it.  Anyway that's my thoughts.

Sharon

Thank you, Connie, for starting this discussion!  I, too, prefer the Forum to FB.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of Forum members who seem to have switched to the "We Love APQS" FB page, because I see them posting there, but not here.  I do think that because this topic was posted here, the response will be skewed towards the Forum over FB, simply because the FB users won't see it.

Mary Beth, I know exactly what you mean about being doubtful of the quality of answers on FB, or a bunch of people posting the same answer because they can't be bothered to read the previous responses.  Definitely have to take some advice with a hefty grain of salt.

It definitely feels like the posts to this Forum have become more about selling machines (mostly non-APQS) than about quilting.  I know I have been "guilty" of not posting pictures, etc. here (or to FB!), but maybe if we all make a bit more effort to post here, the Forum will be revitalized.

The amount of cluttered information on FB is just overwhelming, and if there is a good search function I haven't found it yet either. I have issues with FB in general. When I signed up years ago, it was a fun place to keep track of what your friends were doing. Now they are just showing you posts from people who pay for it. This is a little exaggerated but mostly accurate. And since I created a page for my business I have been inundated with emails by FB urging me to promote my posts by paying them. My page has more than 100 followers, and if I don't pay maybe 30 people get to see my posts, if I am lucky. So yeah, I stay away from FB as much as I can and come here for help and company.

Excellent question. I prefer this forum.

I spend lots of time on FB, more than I should partly because you have to swim through so much stuff. As a couple have said, it is difficult to find what you want with a search. And with all but the last few comments hidden behind the "view previous comments" link you get all the repeated, duplicated answers and so much "hit and run rudeness." I almost always click however many times I must to get to the first comments, because so much information can be hidden there, and then it is easier for me to quickly scroll through/past the repeats.

So my preference for this forum has several reasons, including that it seems a more relaxing "quieter" place, not so haphazard, more actual knowledge and thoughtful answers, more consideration for others in general. On the other hand, FB is fun for it's multitude of pictures and inspiration.

BTW, I am not known to most people here because I rarely post, though I am here to read the discussions often. I have a 1997 APQS Ultimate II that I aquired from it's original owner 5 years ago -- it has no bells and whistles. It has a light, handles with on/off button on front and back, and a rheostat for speeds 1-10, no interchangeable foot, no computer, no needle up/down, but I love her and she has helped me finish several quilts I might never have done without her. I can vouch for APQS's commitment to their owners, even those who did not buy from them, and the staff's dedication to customer service and the happiness of APQS longarm owners and users. When I am able to upgrade, it will definitely be an APQS. And in 3 years, 86 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes, and 9 seconds I will be retired so I can quilt more than occasionally. Woo hoo!! Then I'll be posting here much more!

I am on both the forum and FB page.  If I am looking for real advice or answers that will apply to my machine or problem I know that the people on this forum will have relatable advice or ideas.  I think there are more want-to-bes on FB although many knowledgeable dealers/users have been on there too.  Another reason I come here for solid help is that all posts are able to be seen here.  FB tends to select what comes through my feed and I don't have time to check the actual pages of every group, business, or friend and family that I want to keep up with.  I also like the way these responses are able to be followed and found without multiple clicks just to read more of the responses.  Here the posts are read and there is confirmation of what others have posted previously.  I do wish this was as easy to access as FB.  My computer takes forever to open lately and there are more hoops to get to here on the iPad or phone.

Great question, thanks for the discussion.

I love the forum.  When I began my quilting journey with my longarm, I looked at it daily and spent much time reading posts,studying  pics.  As my quilting abilities developed I began posting pics to get feedback.  As I've become busier, it's more difficult to take pics and post.  I need to get better about doing that again.  I've not really ever looked into FB quilt groups though.  Our guild has a member's only FB and that's good for keeping up with what others are doing...but many just post cutesy type quilting photo sayings, etc.  I've noticed that others have not posted as many pics too...I just suppose we're all alike like in that we all have things we're involved with other than quilting.  Here's mine...my 6 month old granddaughter Raylee.

Edited by dlnewell
couldn't view photo

I love forums...not so much FB....I look at two facebook pages which are the police department FB page since I volunteer with them just so I can keep up with the activities...I've never posted on it....never befriended anyone on it...and probably never will.

I do belong to several forums of different topics such as quilting, flying, camping, etc...I love this forum because you folks accepted me here even knowing I don't own an APQS machine (YET) but have made me feel welcome and I've learned so much.

Great question!  I'm on Facebook, but I've only stuck with it to keep in touch with what's going on with my family living across the country. Just recently, I joined a few quilting groups on there and a local buy and sell group. I actually prefer the forum setting as I don't really trust FB and where your information is going.  It seemed to me FB was becoming a lot less active amongst family members, but man there is always someone posting inane comments somewhere on the groups I've joined.  Time will tell if I stick with them.  I much prefer the forums that I choose to join.  At least I know someone has come here out of interest and not so random.  

I prefer this forum and when I first became a millie owner this forum was really hopping and loved it.  I couldn't wait to open the forum and look at all the inspiration quilters had posted.  Sadly alot have gone the way of FB and I don't get to see their beautiful work. I still log on a few times a month but not like I used to.  I have been on this forum for about 8 years now and will have more time to look on here because I decided this week to retire from doing customer quilts and quilt my own yah!!!!  Hope everyone posts more pics love them